Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The end of a life

Sad news this week. A few years ago I used to go to a great hairdresser who I just learned died over the week-end at the age of 52 of a heart attack! This funny and animated native Scotsman was an amazing stylist who worked and lived in the downtown core of Toronto. The big joke that people used to tell him was that he was a far better hair dresser than a bassist.

You see, this wonderful man, Kenny, was also a member of one of Canada's most popular "New Wave" 80's band called Platinum Blonde. This band had some great Canadian and international hits that filled the airwaves with funky music while girls donned their shoulder pads and frizzed their hair with lots of hairspray.

Music never left his life, even though the 80s are long gone. Perhaps he just liked styling hair - which he certainly had with the band! On his own, he released three solo albums - including one that was just released this month! A previous album was produced by the same producer who did my CD last year.

The Canadian music community is in mourning this week along with many of his hair dressing clients like myself.

12 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

I heard about this on Q this morning. Derringer was raging that some irresponsible reporter speculated in print that it might have been suicide or drugs, when in fact, it was a heart attack. He was rightly furious for everyone who knew this man and who loved him and knew better.

grace said...

That is sad news, the hair world and the music world will miss him.

Dale said...

Kenny who?
Although, I do remember Platinum Blonde.
Did you get your hair done by him on a regular bassist?

Lannio said...

I'm tempted to say "Morrison", but no, his last name was "Maclean"

Dale said...

Kenny Morrison does hair?

lol

Stevie said...

I remember Platinum Blond. that is sad.

MargieCM said...

Fifty-two is too young by at least thirty or forty years in my book Lesley. This is very sad news indeed.

Oh and DALE - groan! One to be truly proud of there.

Vallypee said...

This is most odd. I know I wrote a comment on this post a few days ago, but it's not here! Well, I think I remember saying that it was wonderful that someone with his talents could also do something as unselfish as doing other people's hair.

He must have been a special person and a special friend. A lovely tribute Lesley.

Vallypee said...

Oh DALE!!!! I suppose you couldn't resist that one...you really bring things down to basics don't you ;-)

Sorry Lesley, that one just slipped out xx

Dale said...

LOL, Val...trust you to get that one!

;)

Dale said...

Hey, Lesley!
Bob says Hi and he misses you!

<(00)>
---

Dale said...

Oh, I see Margie noticed, too...