Sunday, October 25, 2009

Curling Season has begun

The days in Canada vary drastically between summer and winter. In summer, the sun shines on us until 9:00 pm or later, but in winter the sun sinks beyond the horizon as early as 4:00 pm. So, now that we are approaching winter and the sun is making shorter daily appearances, I like so many other Canadians, turn to the sport of curling to help get through the dark evenings.

I began curling when I was 11, so obviously I have been doing it for a long time. During my teens and early 20s I was extremely competitive and had some relative success before taking seasonal breaks on and off for travel and other interests. But for the last three years I've become once again addictive and hope to regenerate some of my competitive ways and if I'm lucky, equal some of my earlier success. (So far I've curled seven games in the club, three mixed and four womens and have a record of seven wins - yeah!)

This upcoming year, we host the Olympics in Vancouver. Curling is one of the sports where Canada is hoping to medal in both the women's and men's competitions. Our representative have yet to be determined so all eyes are on our potential teams. Trials begin in November and conclude in December.

In the Toronto area these last five days, an mens elite international curling competition was held - with with five of Canada's top teams competing. I was lucky to have won tickets to the event and saw some fine play. Good practice as well for these Canadian teams before they enter the Olympic trials by playing the top teams from other nations that have already been declared as their country's Olympic representatives.

I'm just home from the finals where Canada's Glenn Howard (the 2007 world champ) won the competition. Here are some pictures from the competition.


Brad Gushue from Newfound and 2006 Olympic Gold medalist.


Alberta's Kevin Martin, 2002 Olympic Silver medalist

The Randy Ferby team from Edmonton Alberta, four-time Canadian and two-time World champs

The Ontario Glenn Howard team, 2007 world champ. (Glenn has won the worlds three times and his vice-skip Richard Hart is a 1998 Olympic silver medalist)

7 comments:

grace said...

Great photos Lesley.

I am impressed with your curling career and acheivements. That is terrific. I would imagine you are in great shape too.
I am not a fan of the short winter days, do you curl in the summer aswell?

Dale said...

Hi Lesley!
I was by yesterday, but didn't have time to comment.

I remember when we started curling, too. It was so much fun to take the school bus to the curling club a couple or three days a week after school! I didn't get into it as much as you did, but I managed to get a few bonspeils under my belt.
When I lived in Saskatchewan we had lots of fun doing weekend speils! On natural ice - fun in the spring when the melting snow drips through the roof, creating frozen mounds on the sheets... lol

So, between your singing and curling, you will have a busy winter!
Congrats on your wins and good luck for future triumphs!

xx

Anne-Marie said...

If you started at 11, then it has been a long, long time. ;)

This is a sport I've never tried, but would like to. perhaps when the arm comes back, I should give it a go. I'll bet it was exciting to watch the competition- I imagine for you it was like me watching the tennis opens here in the summer, back when we used to go.

xx
AM

Tink said...

Wow! I had no idea, Lesley. This is fascinating. This is on ICE .. with SHOES? Holy moses. I've heard of curling but never really looked at the sport. It does look like great fun! Hope that it gives you many hours of joy during the upcoming LONG winter. I learn something new with every post you make!

We'll be setting our clocks back one hour this weekend (in most parts of the U.S.) I really don't like this monkeying around with the time, but if you live in a state that participates, you don't really have a choice to refuse. lol

xo

Lannio said...

Grace: Curling is a great sport - there are some rare facilities that have curling in the summer but usually the season starts in September and goes until the end of April.

Dale: Yeah, it was a good idea of Mum and Dad to have us join the curling club when we moved houses back when we were kids.

Anne Marie: I'd be glad to take you out once your arm is up to snuff. Of course (as you know) I love watching tennis open's too - but the better thing about curling is that I know several of the top curlers who I see at these competitions, on TV and who are vying for an Olympic spot so it makes it much more personal.

Tink: There is curling in the US - and around the Chicago area. The shoes we wear are specially made for the sport to keep our toes warm and grip the ice. The ice actually is pebbled (with small water drops) which makes it easier to walk on and have the rocks move on it.

Dale said...

Hope you're feeling better!

xo

grace said...

september to april, that is a long season, gets you lots of curling in in that time. I hope this week is going well for you.