Monday, December 07, 2009

A basement in transition

When I bought my home, the basement had thin siding on it - but there was no insulation. That is a no-no in a Canadian climate.



I took the siding away - and - oh no. Look what I discovered below!


A red wall, with questionable artwork .... and even worse ... see below ...


Black mold!!!


I got rid of the mold (with great difficulty .... and scraped the entire wall as seen here. This is the only picture I have of this, which I don't mind ....

This month, I bought a bundle of styrofoam....



and so this is what my basement currently looks like. I need to do a bit of sealing around some cracks. Then the next steps are to put new windows in, drywall, subfloor and ceiling tiles.

This actually will become my bedroom for awhile as I plan to rent two bedrooms on the main floor.

Lots of work, but great satisfaction too.

8 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

You don't screw around...well actually you do. ;)

It will look really great when it's all done, I've no doubt.

xx
AM, with her own basement lost in transition

grace said...

that was an interesting basement to begin with. And black mold :(.
but holy crap it will look awesome when finished. You are doing such amazing work on your house. and outside. good deal! xo

grace said...

'good deal' meaning, good work, good project....

String said...

Hey that looked like some sort of martial arts motif!

Dale said...

lol Lesley!
Looks like it was someone's basement in the 70's!
Hope you manage to hold off the spread of mould.
But I am impressed with the work - you go girl!
Val might be able to use you on her barge - maybe you should do a work swap!
Looking forward to seeing what the finished product looks like!

xx

Vallypee said...

Wow Lesley, you're doing a fantastic job! Well done! Can't wait to see the finished product.

grace said...

Happy Holidays Lelsley! xo

Tink said...

Wow. What a worker you are! I am SO impressed. Good work!

Merry Christmas, Lesley, may all your dreams come true this new year!

xo