Sunday, February 07, 2010

Travelling north to see winter

There is no snow in Toronto which is a huge disappointment to Crystal, my Korean Border, who wants to experience a snow storm and enjoy the wonders of frolicking in it.

For her benefit, I would really like there to be a snow storm here in Toronto - as long as she helps me shovel the driveway!!! However, I'm not sure this will happen (even though I read that Washington DC received a record 78cms of the white stuff this week-end).

Yesterday was a beautiful sunny day so I decided to drive Crystal north of the city to where I heard that there was snow on the ground.

First we went to Port Perry, a little town on the shores of Lake Scugog, to see fishing ice huts. There were indeed ice huts - but only a dusting of snow meaning we'd have to drive further north! However, when looking at the ice huts I noted that many cars and very heavy trucks were on the ice so I decided to drive out there to get close to them. For Crystal, this was a new and scary experience as she never even had walked on ice before!


Here she is on Lake Scugog beside my car with the fishing ice huts in the background, in a moment that she'll never ever forget.

After getting off the lake I drove to Orillia Ontario, on the shores and at the intersection of Lakes Couchiching and Simcoe. Finally there was enough snow of the ground for Crystal to enjoy....


- - - -


Here I am lying on the icy surface of Lake Couchiching making a snow angel.


Here's the completed snow angel that Crystal made.

- - -

Next Friday I'm taking her to an Ontario Hockey League game and in two weeks we hope to hit the hills for some snow tubing.

8 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

Hello my dear,
what a beautiful day you had! Sadly for us civil service types, we're in report card season and snowed under in a different way.

xx
AM

Vallypee said...

It looks lovely, Leslie and I'm sure your boarder must have appreciated your generosity in seeking out the snow immensely. Like Anne Marie, I'm snowed under in a different way, but we've had our share of the white stuff already and won't be sorry if we don't see any more this year!

I love the snow angel! xx

Dale said...

lol Lesley!

It looks like fun and what an experience for someone from Korea!
I look out over the fishing huts on the lake from my front windows.
We are driving everywhere on the lake.
Did you know that our ice road is a designated highway when it is being used in the winter? All the rules apply...

Crystal's snow angel is beautiful!
Did you help her up?

xo

String said...

Ohhh do people ever go through the ice!??? Yikes that would freak me out!

Lannio said...

Dale - Nope, she got up on her own. And hey, if you have a picture of that ice highway that you can send me, it would be great to show to Crystal.

Cheryl - sometimes cars can go through the ice. Mainly when there is a thaw. I drove only where there were fresh car/truck tracks from that day. The ice was more than a foot thick so I new I was quite safe, but it didn't prevent me from being a little nervous myself.

In the spring, I promised Crystal that we would return so she could see the lake when there was open water.

grace said...

Oh have to make snow angels. Haven't had the opportunity to make any since I was kid back east. Looks like Crystal enjoyed the trip to winter.!

Dale said...

lol

We have vehicles falling through every year...
Usually when they pass to close to the mouth of Windermere Creek.

Stevie said...

Oh Lesley!
Brilliant that you are giving this young girl such amazing memories! I will have to tell you one day of Neerganga, a student from Sri Lanka who found herself hugging the snow when she finally found some in the Jumbo Pass!
You are wonderful!
xo
S