Thursday, November 01, 2007

Busy times ahead ....

I haven't been too active on here because I had a wonderful visit from my parents over the week-end and then on Monday was hit with bombshell news. The condo unit that I am renting is going on the market to be sold. I was given 60 days notice! Yikes ......

60 days is around Christmas ....

I've hurridly made arrangements in the last two days to get a pre-approved mortgage to buy my own place, made arrangements with the proprietors of my unit to let me stay until January 31st and hired and met with a Real Estate agent. We begin looking at houses tomorrow evening. Oh, and I've also started to pack my materials ... and pinched a nerve in my wrist upon lifting my first box!

I'd like to buy a cute little house (if I can afford it) about 30 minutes from the downtown core of Toronto. The bad news is that its a seller's market and so it might be a little bit out of my price range. However, if the market softens between now and Christmas it may be feasible. If not, I'll probably have to move closer to suburbia (yikes) or go into a Condo.... I think one is for sale in Anne Marie's building (lol).

I was hoping to purchase a home in six to nine months - so its being accelerated. It'll have to be a lean Christmas and a cheap homemade sandwich for lunch for the next while. I feel like I'm on a roller-coaster ride right now, but hopefully will find comfortable footing by the week-end!

Hope all had a Happy Halloween!

26 comments:

Dale said...

Good luck with the house-hunting - and I know of a cute little house for sale.
It's a little farther than 30 minutes from the TO downtown core, though...
I must be tough finding a place where you live, no?

I got your message the other night, but it was late. I'll try you this evening if I get a chance.

My own roller coaster has picked up speed...

zoeentwistle said...

Best of luck with the house hunting. 60 days is not enough! But at least you are not selling so that will make it a bit easier.

Hope you find a place soon.

Zoe

grace said...

I hope that it all goes well. 60 days - that is harsh. Good luck, fingers crossed for ya.

xx

Mary Beth said...

Wow, even with the rush, this is still exciting news! Good luck with the house hunt - I hope you find something suitable in a location you want, where it won't take you an hour and a half to get to work like living in the 'burbs!

Stevie said...

Oh good Luck Les! I'll take a cheap homemade sandwich any day for a house! You'll find something perfect!

Vallypee said...

Good luck Lannio! Am off blog for a while but took a peek to see how things were. xx

MargieCM said...

Wow - nothing like a deadline to get the adrenaline flowing, eh? I hope you find something really lovely - it's hard when you're under pressure not to grab the first thing that comes up. Resist the temptation, and good luck!

Want any good sandwich filling ideas?

Lannio said...

Thanks for everyone's morale support. It's been a crazy week. I've looked at over 20 properties in this extremely HOT market. I've liked only two that I've seen so far - and I've seen some real dumps too.

My adrenaline was flowing like crazy last week, but thankfully I'm a little more balanced now. I've negotiated and have until January 30th to move to a new location.

Stevie said...

careful Lesley, or Margie wil send you up a case of Vegemite! (How do you spell that?) Then you'd get a case of Marmite from Gypsy!
We should create and patent Moosemite for a Canadian sandwich spread.

Stevie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MargieCM said...

You got it right Stevie! Consider yourself an honorary Australian. (But only if you can manage to eat it without throwing up).

Moosemite sounds ... interesting. Toasted vegemite and cheese is really nice though - and add fruit chutney for a sandwich you'll never forget.

MargieCM said...

Lesley - I finally got my act together sufficiently to post a rough itinerary for Emma's Canada trip over on mine. I do have more details, with others yet to come, but it's a start.

Anne-Marie said...

Hi Lesley,
Good that you have an extra month. Best of luck with the search.

xx
AM

Stevie said...

How goes the house hunting Les?

Unknown said...

Good luck house hunting! It is stressful, but also an exciting time, no?

New job, new residence...hmmm, what's next?

Keep on keeping on. You'll find a great place!

Dale said...

House the hunt?

Vallypee said...

Is the hunt still on Lesley?

MargieCM said...

They're rotters those houses - they know you want them, and they're always one step ahead of you until you get sneaky and wait around a corner until ... gotcha!

Lannio said...

Still no luck. I'm on to round three in the hunt. The first one didn't pass an inspection and the second one I was outbidded on.

Anne-Marie said...

Keep at it, and good luck.

xx
AM

Lannio said...

OK - I'm gonna launch round three. Its a little out of the core, but with this crazy market its probably the best I can do. It needs some work so I'll have to do some renovations. Home Depot gift certificates as house warming presents please ... ;-)

Dale said...

You go, Girl!

WooHoo

Unknown said...

Good luck, Lesley!

Anonymous said...

Better late than never, but all the very best with your house hunting Lesley! Hope it's going to bear fruit really soon xx

Stevie said...

well??????

MargieCM said...

So how's Round Three progressing?