Thursday, July 17, 2008

Progress ...

This summer so far has certainly been different for me. Partly because I’m in my own home and am spending every extra penny I earn on it – and also because my evenings are now spent doing renovation work – the days are speeding by very quickly.

In my last blog I said I was going to start insulating the basement – but that’s now on hold. I’ve bought five basement windows that are being made currently and want to install them before the insulation goes in. In the meantime, I’ve been attacking my bedroom closets. The configuration of these closets was crazy. Both had small doors and were either four or five feet deep. With the guidance and help of my dear friend and curling teammate Jim, I’ve widened one to 6.5 feet (approx 2 metres) and shortened the depth of the other one to 2.5 deep (approx .760 metres). The demolition and moving the wall (in between the closets) was crazy. Currently I’m almost finished the drywall steps and so it will be ready for priming tomorrow. I’ve found a closet system created by Rubbermaid, which will allow me to maximize my closet space and give me the closet of my dreams. I’m really happy because I haven’t had the proper space to organize and put all my clothes away properly. The windows should be arriving in a week or two – so I’ll have a couple of weeks off before doing the room downstairs. In September I tackle the roof (which I’m hiring friends who’ve done this work before to do for me).

Wow, I never thought I’d get so excited over closets and basements!!! But, I consider myself blessed to have the friends around who have knowledge about renovation and electrical wiring to make my dream of having a perfect little house come true.

Before and after pictures of the closet to follow.

1 comment:

Anne-Marie said...

Ah, home renos- I know them well. I just finished my grouting yesterday and need a week's break before the sealing and caulking and then it will be done.

I'm so glad you found a good closet system- they are right behind kitchens and bathrooms in terms of comfort, I think.

Call us soon so we can get together before A & A leave, which is a week Sunday.

xx
AM