Saturday, September 12, 2009

An airline totally devoted to pets?

Believe it or not, it's true!

A company, Pet Airways, is now flying from airports in five American cities and plans to expand into Canada next year for its “pawsengers”. In fact, the only humans allowed on the flights will be pet attendants and the pilots.

According to the airline, an estimated one million animals fly each year in America, and Pet Airways' goal is to capitalize on that statistic.

Flights begin at US$149, and come with the promise to "transport your pet with lots of love, care, safety, and comfort in the main cabin," according to the company. The planes are entirely designed with animals in mind so there are neither seats nor overhead baggage compartments.

The airline also offers a "pawsenger lounge" where pets can be checked in up to 72 hours prior to take-off.

Dan Wiesel, president and CEO of Pet Airways, said most pets travelling by air are transported in the cargo hold and "handled as baggage."
Operations began on July 14 with flights between Baltimore, New York, Chicago, Denver and Los Angeles, with plans to expand to Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver in 2010.

There is some competition here in Canada, however. While their mandates aren't as pet-centric as Pet Airways, major carriers West Jet and Air Canada both offer pet travel options.

Both airlines charge a $50 fee for pets that travel in the cabin, but Air Canada ups the fee to $105 for pets that are transported in the baggage compartment.

If you want more information, or don't believe these words – here is their website: http://petairways.com

9 comments:

Vallypee said...

Nice one Lesley! I like the idea that pets get treated as real pawsengers and not just basket cases ;)

Here in Europe KLM are supposed to be the most pet friendly airline, but it's pretty expensive still and we've had two not so nice experiences with them, so hopefully pet airways will come this way too!

String said...

You know, this is a good idea as I won't travel with my cat due to the fact that being in baggage is not at all healthy. I often wondered what we would do!

grace said...

I had heard this on the news this week. I think it is a fantastic idea. Although I would want to be WITH my pet on the airline, I don't know how I would feel not being with them in the air.

Anne-Marie said...

Brilliant idea. I've often wondered how distressing being in the cargo hold must be for animals. I know my big dog is a big baby when storms come, and I know he was terrified when we had the rehearsals for the air show here just a week ago. I imagine it would be horrible for him to be in that cold, loud place, and for that reason will never do that to him, or the cats.

Like Grace, though, I'd like to be with them on the actual flight. Of course, I can just imagine how fun they'd find it- like a doggie daycare in the sky.

xx
AM

Lannio said...

What pet friendly blogging friends I have.

Val, it's nice to know that KLM is pet friendly. More airlines should be.

Cheryl, I was thinking about that too - but also wonder about how they mix the species. As Anne-Marie says - it could be doggie daycare in the sky - but know the cats wouldn't enjoy that. Perhaps they have different rooms.

Grace, I agree. I'm not sure I'd want Leo and Rory to fly on their own. I'd be worried sick when they were away from me. But guess this is better in a pinch and I had to travel somewhere with them.

AM - I know how Whiskey has learned to be more cautious around storms. I wonder how calm dogs and cats would be hearing the roar of the jet engines. Perhaps they have sound proof walls.

grace said...

Right, would be better than sitting in cargo. My poor summer rode cargo from Ohio to San Fransisco-Through a thunder storm. It must have been awful. I would like to be a fly on the wall on one of those flights though, 'cause I know my June would be insane wanting to play the whole time! (wouldn't wish that on anyone) she is a wild one.

bookworm said...

Hi Lesley,

never heard about such a flying pets Airline. This must be a funny thing. Dogs, cats, cows and all sitting on the seats, drinking bear and wine, watching TV and have a dinner. We live in a funny world.

Love
Stefan

Dale said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dale said...

I'm with Grace on this one. I'd rather be able to travel with my friend.
I'm surprised it's taken this long for this to develop. To me, it's a given.

And I would forbid my furry cohorts to drink bear at any time!

xx