Friday, August 28, 2009

Almost finished!


This summer in my front yard I've been dealing with goutweed (as per my blog post a few posts below).

In my backyard, I had more goutweed (that used to be at the base of the trees shown above) and discovered another weed called "Deadly Nightshade" (also known as "climbing nightshade" or "bittersweet nightshade"). This is a poisonous weed that can be fatal to humans if they eat the leaves or red berries that it produces. I also had about 15 cedar trees in a row that were unsightly and at one time used to be a cedar hedge.

With time on my hands earlier this summer, I decided to get into "destruction mode". I pulled out the goutweed and started to cut down the trees [full stop] ..... that was until the city of Toronto had its strike because some of their outside workers collect yard waste and brush. Now that the outside workers are back at work I tackled the trees once again and only have the limbs on 1.5 trees left! yeah! The brush from the limbs is at my curbside awaiting pick-up and the stumps of the trees (seen in the photo above) will be cut down in pieces that will be just perfect for friends chimineas or campfires.

The remaining 1.5 trees will be dealt with in a couple of weeks, just in time for the my neighbourhood's next yard waste pick-up day.

Once the trees are all at low stump level I'll be completing the same goutweed treatment as on my front yard. I'm tired at the moment but have a good sense of satisfaction as I dream about what I can plant in both yards to make this piece of land my little oasis.

6 comments:

Vallypee said...

What a lot of work Lesley! I sympathise and empathise. Loving my garden in Zeeland as I do, and having a similar situation in terms of weeds and conifers, I know only too well how much work you've done!

Well done!

I wish I had more time to spend on mine too ;-(

grace said...

You should feel very proud of all that outside work you have and are doing. That is the one thing I am not a fan of. So awesome work Lesley!

Dale said...

You've been busy, Lesley!

Your yard looks great! Even though it's not "done" yet. It has lots of potential. I love cedar, but the deer around here like it even better!

Belladonna is another, less innocuous name for nightshade and was often used as a anesthetic, as well as a poison, in early times. Potatoes are also of the nightshade family...

It's all so fun and I'm looking forward to seeing the end result once your yard is the way you want it!

Have a great week.

xx

Anne-Marie said...

Hi Lesley,
I'll happily take some wood from you for the chiminea. Amazing what a little yard cleaning can do, eh? (Not that I would know myself).

xx
AM

Anne-Marie said...

Thanks for the wood! We will use it at the housewarming for sure!

xx
AM

Dale said...

lol AM

It will at least warm your backyard...