Monday, March 01, 2010

Vancouver and Canada say farewell to the world

I must admit that I've been addicted to the television for the past two weeks while the beautiful Canadian west coast city of Vancouver hosted the 2010 Olympics. Tonight I watched the closing ceremonies and admit that I had a tear in my eye more than once.

These games were spectacular for Canada as it showed a side of its people it's never seen before ... pure and golden patriotism... and I don't think I met anyone who wasn't blurry-eyed in Toronto because they stayed up late to witness all the events. Here are some other recollections:

There were the usual triumphs and defeats highlighted by the wonderful Dutch speedskater Sven Kramer who won the Netherlands all-time 100th Olympic medal by winning gold in one event and then being disqualified in another event that he would have won after skating in the wrong lane!

Clara Hughes - how can one really describe this amazing athlete? She's a Canadian speed skater who won her sixth piece of Olympic Hardware. She is the only athlete in the world to have won medals in both Summer and Winter Olympics over multiple games. I can't recall how many Olympians I heard speak of her as their hero. Well done Clara - a true representative of the spirit of courage and sport.

The youth taking over figure skating - Two 19 year olds winning gold and silver in the women's event. Yu Na Kim of Korea breaking a world record in point accumulation and Japan's Mao Asada landing three triple axels in the competition. As well, the Canadian gold medal ice dancers, Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir who won gold at the tender ages of 20 and 22 - the first North American couple to win Olympic gold in the event and the only ones to win without prior Olympic experience.

Two vetrans winning medals in the snowboard parallel giant slalom. Canada's Jasey Jay Anderson and France's Matthieu Bozzetto had won everything in their sport except an Olympic medal. Both well into their 30s would never have another chance and ceased the day with Anderson winning gold and Bozzetto claiming the bronze.

Canada breaking a gold record - The curse is over. Canada was the only country to host an Olympic games without winning a gold medal. This changed in Vancouver as Canadians won a record 14 gold medals. No other nation in the winter Olympics have won so many gold. 13 gold medals was the previous record set by Norway in 2002 and the Soviet Union in 1976.

Now the best for last ...... Joannie Rochette of Canada and Petra Majdic of Slovenia. Both were winners of a special "Terry Fox award" created by the Vanoc committee. This award was to be given to an athlete who embodies the same values that Terry Fox did. (Terry Fox attempted to run across Canada with one leg after losing the other to Cancer. He didn't complete the run as the Cancer returned and he passed away. His mother said before he started his run that "He wanted to try the impossible - to show that it could be done". She believes that he proved to us all that the only limitations we have are those we impose on ourselves).

Despite four fractured ribs and a collapsed lung after a huge fall, Petra Majdic of Slovenia won a bronze medal, the first olympic cross country medal ever for her country.

Just days before her skate, Joannie Rochette's mother suddenly died of a massive heart attack at the age of 55. Joannie captivated the world and won a bronze medal in figure skating.

I stand in awe of these two women who are not only remarkable athletes but two very special young women.

The Olympics are an amazing thing. Thank you Pierre de Coubertin for resurrecting them in the modern era.

7 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

Great post, Lesley. I think Vancouver did an amazing job, given the tragic start and the weather problems it had at first.

I really loved the satirical poke at all our Canadian stereotypes last night during the closing ceremonies- flying moose, gigantic beavers and canoes. All we needed was Eric Idle and some singing lumberjacks.

What a great, great two weeks. I've been so immersed in it all, and now it's time to catch up on some sleep. Too bad the spring break isn't right now- I could go to San Fran without needing a jet lag adjustment, since my body is already on Pacific time!

xx
AM

Dale said...

I will miss having the tv on the same channel every day - without having to change it...
Even the kids were caught up in all the hoopdeedaw!
And, AM, I agree with how great it was poking fun at ourselves last night.
My thought have not changed since we hosted these Winter Olympic Games.
I am still proud to be Canadian.

xo

grace said...

nice re-cap. I find the Olympics very exciting when they roll around too. I watched the closing ceremonies(i missed the opening) and after doing so I felt Canada was in me! the closer was very Canadian. Next up Summer London. Do you enjoy the summer games aswell?

Dale said...

Hi Lesley!
I've been thinking of you a lot lately. I hope all is going well.

xo

grace said...

Hi Lesley,

Here's wishing you a super day tomorrow, Happy Birthday! Hope you spend just as you like :)

xo

Stevie said...

they were truly amazing!
now, I want a story from YOU! Come read my blog please, and consider yourself tagged!
word verification: etaing. does that mean awaiting an eta? and how weird would that be?

Stevie said...

hello lovely you!