Saturday, August 06, 2011

A beautiful summer

I can't believe that it's already well into August!

At the beginning of the summer my 14-month contract ended without securing new employment and I was worried! But, luckily 7 weeks later I was in a new job (thank goodness).

During that time off, I devoted some of my time to learning more about social media. As a seasoned marketing communications professional, I thought it was a good opportunity to see how this new media really works. I continued to explore the social media activity with my former employer along with a not-for-profit charity and a celebrity. And, when I wasn't doing that I was busy designing/making more jewelry, looking for new work, saving my pennies and resurrecting my solo-type singing.

While I became more active in a choir that I belong to last winter, I still didn't sing at my strongest and my voice was at its weakest point ever! The actual catalyst for getting my voice back into shape and resurrecting my solo work (which encompassed singing at church and doing concerts in homes for seniors, the mentally disabled and so on) was the celebrity that I began using as my social media case study.

The celebrity is a classically trained British singer who has moved his career to cover different genres from his operatic roots to show tunes and musicals. I discovered him on a PBS show celebrating the 25th Anniversary of Les Miserables. He starred as Jean Valjean and the notes he sang got me interested in him so I explored more and was soon hooked after seeing his youtube videos, purchasing his CDs and observing his on-line presence. I honestly have to say that one of his CDs, with powerful spiritual overtones put me in the right frame of mind to be able to go out there and get a new job!

It's amazing how music and one performer can inspire a person - but it's happened to me. Not even the Mick Jaggers or Robert Plants of my youth have inspired me this way. But, perhaps that's also because of all the one-on-one exposure I've had to music and sport celebs through my professional and sporting life that's left me somewhat jaded with fans vs. celebs - but this time, somehow my soul was pierced.

Some people on social media might drool at his looks etc., but for me it's nothing like that. It's all about his amazing lyric tenor voice and musical choices that have really touched my soul. His public persona that radiates honesty and integrity has also helped too.

Anyway, now that I've got a job - I'm actually gonna go over to London in October to see him perform in the West End as Jean Valjean. Oh, and this marvellous singer with amazing personal integrity whose star is rising quickly goes by the name of Alfie Boe.

In a later post, I'll tell you about a crazy project that I've been working on with another that has to do with photography and his image.

Thats all for now .... love you xx

5 comments:

Vallypee said...

So good to read that you are upbeat and looking forward to new projects, Leslie. I shall have to look out for Alfie Boe! I'm also happy to hear you found a new job so quickly. It's always worrying to be without work. Good luck with all the new ideas, and keep us posted!

String said...

Really like this blog, nice description and sure know what you mean about 'celebrity' musicians...I think Neil Young did that for me.

Stevie said...

and how now lovely Lannio? was it a wonderful performance? Oh I have missed so much!

Stevie said...

How's tricks lovely?

Stevie said...

Hello darling!!