Friday, May 16, 2008

I Love long week-ends!

Today marks the unofficial start of summer in Canada with what is officially known as the May 2-4 week-end. While the 24th May may actually be next week-end this year, Canadian’s get the third Monday of every May off to celebrate Queen Victoria’s birthday. While this Queen may have “ruled” the British Commonwealth up until January 1901 – so most of us weren’t alive when she was – we don’t care because she gave us a day off! Yippie!

After living through the snowy winters and spring thaw, this week-end is the time when Canadians rejoice and celebrate the warmer temperatures and longer days with an extra day off.

This week-end brings back many mories for me. For years it was the week-end we'd open up the cottage and see all our summer friends for the first time in six months. My strongest memories have to do with the lake - where most of the time I'd try to brave the cold lake water for a swim and maybe even a waterski. However last year and 1978 stand in my mind as being exceptional because we had exceptionally warm springs both years and were able to enjoy a lake temperature of around 22C.

I'm heading to the lake in a couple of hours but will not attempt a swim this year!

I leave you with some song lyrics by the Canadian musical group Rush, who with this song refer to their own May 2-4 memories.

....... Everyone would gather

On the twenty-fourth of May

Sitting in the sand

To watch the fireworks display

Dancing fires on the beach

Singing songs together...

Though it's just a memory

Some memories last forever

7 comments:

Dale said...

...and we're going skiing.

;)

Sindy said...

And we're eating dinner in the garden overlooking the creek...May is just the best month of all...

Vallypee said...

Oops, that was meant to be me..Sin's been at my blog again...lol

Have a super weekend Lesley!

Anne-Marie said...

The most brrrrr May 2-4 in recent memory. I hope you enjoyed the lake.

We went to Dover to run the pooches. It was fun, but we had the fireplace going! We must get together soon, dearie.

xx
AM

gypsy noir said...

That's not fair!..we don't get a day off for the queens birthday..HMMPH!!!

grace said...

Hope it was fun :) Hope to see you 'round my blog, I sent you an invite. takecare xo

MargieCM said...

Memories and traditions - I love them. We get a long weekend for the Queen's birthday too - but it's the present one, and it's not until June. Gypsy - do they really not give you a holiday? Call yourselves Monarchists? We old Colonials don't really care about the Queen you know, but we do know a good holiday when we see one.

Lesley, I remember my Grandma teling me she had to wear black for a month when Queen Victoria died. She must have been about 11.

Oh, and you could swim if you borrowed Dale's quilted bikini.