Thursday, June 19, 2008

Celebrating 100 years of Canada's most famous novel

On June 20, 1908, Canadian author Lucy Maud Montgomery of Prince Edward Island (PEI) Canada, received the first edition of her soon to be immensely popular novel Anne of Green Gables.

It started small: a few thousand copies of a first novel by an author from a small provincial island on the northeast corner of the North American continent, released by a Boston publisher whose first inclination was to send Montgomery a rejection letter.

In 100 years, Anne of Green Gables has grown into its own industry. The book has been published in 33 languages; Montgomery wrote seven sequels, and a prequel was recently published with the consent of her heirs. There have been two movies for the big screen, six for television, and three television series (the first an anime version produced in Japan). The Charlottetown, PEI Festival's stage version is the longest running musical in Canadian history and is making a claim to be the world record holder in that category.

Anne has made Prince Edward Island famous around the world and is at the centre of a tourism industry crucial to the province's economy.

Personally, Anne of Green Gables was one of my favourite books as a young adolescent and so it's for this reason that I celebrate this special 100th anniversary.

5 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

Did you know there is a plaque just up the road from me to commemorate the fact that Montgomery lived at that address for a period of time? Just something I found out on a doggie walk many years back.

I have never read her book, shocking as this may seem. It may have something to do with growing up French rather than English.

xx
AM

Dale said...

I visited Green Gables as a 7-year old and I still remember it!
I read all the books before I was 12 and I remember checking them out of the Laurentide Elementary School library.
Along with every horse story imaginable...

That is interesting about L M Montgomery's home and it most certainly is quite shocking as to the fact you've never read her books, AM. ;)
Better late than never...

How's the house coming along, Lesley?

Vallypee said...

You know I never knew that Ann of Green Gables was Canadian! This was so interesting for me Lesley, as I loved the book and the character and even enjoyed the beautiful TV series that was made of it too.

Thanks for teaching me something new today ;-)

grace said...

Oh I just loved Anne of Green Gables as a kid. Over and Over.
I celebrate too. Glad you liked the Carlin video.

xox

Anonymous said...

Affiliate Marketing On The Internet
Affiliate Marketing is a performance based sales technique used by companies to expand their reach into the internet at low costs. This commission based program allows affiliate marketers to place ads on their websites or other advertising efforts such as email distribution in exchange for payment of a small commission when a sale results.
www.onlineuniversalwork.com