Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Canada loses a musical icon

It's a sad day when you wake up and hear that one of your country's greatest folk singers and musical mothers has died.

Kate McGarrigle, mother to Rufus and Martha Wainwright,passed away overnight from a rare form of cancer at the age of 63.

The McGarrigle sisters were born in Montreal and raised in one of my favourite Laurentian Mountain ski-towns, Saint-Sauveur-des-Monts. They recorded 10 albums in French and English, and their songs have been covered by artists such as Linda Ronstadt, Billy Bragg and Emmylou Harris.

I was lucky to see them live on several occasions in my earlier days within small pub-like environments, which is perfect for their style of music.

For a smile in rememberance you should view the Logdriver's Waltz. The National Film Board's video here at http://www.nfb.ca/film/log_drivers_waltz/ The song is an old traditional Canadian folksong.


Kate (left) with her sister Anna (Ryan Remiorz/Canadian Press)

5 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

Wow, that's way too young. I love the logdriver waltz- didn't actually realise that was her.

xx
AM

grace said...

oh that is sad news. so so young. My mom passed at 68 of cancer, I know how martha and rufus must feel.

xo

Dale said...

A sad day, indeed, Lesley.
Log Driver's Walz is so Canadian...

xx

Vallypee said...

I've only just seen this Leslie, and am terribly terribly saddened. The McGarrigle sisters have been big favourites for many years. Koos introduced me to them and I love their music, really love it. She was far too young. So sad.

Koos F said...

She was a close family member, always will be to me