Monday, January 11, 2010

Door

It's great to have an insulated basement bedroom/office. However, when the desk is next to the entrance/exit of the non-insulated part of the basement and near the leaky/drafty door to the outside it can get its share of cool drafts.

The challenge this past week-end was to find a door that could fit the unique size of the entrance/exit, be strong enough to hold a cat door and have windows. (If I need to close a door to a room, I like to have windows so I don't feel so isolated from the rest of the house).

Jim and I explored the usual home renovation/hardware stores but didn't find anything affordable that fit the bill so we took a jaunt down the road to Habitat for Humanity's Restore and found this beautiful vintage piece that Jim installed for me.



The wonderful thing about this door is that the bottom middle window pane is gone so that'll be used as the cat door! They'll have no problem going thru the door when it's closed :-)

Between the stairs down to the basement and my newly renovated room, I've made some adjustments to organize my stuff and separate the room from the unfinished part of the basement by hanging some curtains I had used in my old condo. I bought a great shelf unit at a post-christmas bargain price - - and behind one of the curtains, you'll see a great little item that I found that I'm using to store my off-season clothes.







Next steps are to:

a) add a door handle to the door;
b) install a curtain over my main closet area (I'm using unused brass pipe that was left in the house when I bought it as curtain rods),
c) continue to organize my office;
d) hang some wall art/photos, and
e) finish the wiring

8 comments:

MargieCM said...

Hi Lannio (remember me? I'm sorry it's been so long).

This all looks so exciting. I DREAM of having the space of a basement, and the elements of your space have come together so well - almost serendipitously, if that's a word. It is now, anyway. I love the cat door!

Lannio said...

Great to see you back here Margie. We missed you!

Hey, and as for that "cat door". They both used it for the first time today - but I had to show them it was there first! :-)

Stevie said...

just seeing you making your home really YOUR home makes me smile! I look forward to that again one day, but for now I will live vicariously through you!
:)

grace said...

I thought that was a trick photo of your cat at first!! lol what an inventive idea. as far as the bottom goes, ever see those commercials for those (oh I don't know what they are called) it is a padded cloth thing that slides onto the bottom of the door to eliminate drafts or cool air in summer from escaping?
I am liking the colours and the way you are designing your room here. very nice. :)

Anne-Marie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anne-Marie said...

Rob is making cat comments standing beside me. I am too much of a lady to repeat them in writing. ;)

xx

Dale said...

Looking good, Lesley!
I love making a house into my own, homey living space.
You have been very creative.

And I love the door!

xo

Tink said...

Beautiful! Adore the door! Great choice. It's lovely. You've done so much since last post on the basement project. I'm impressed, as always.