Sunday, June 27, 2010

Disgust


This week-end I lived in a city that I know well but didn't recognize.

Th G20 summit was held in Toronto and has now drawn to a close. For most people like me who live in this peaceful city, this summit was not something we were looking forward to. City politicians and ordinary citizens begged the federal government to hold it in a non-urban setting.

A huge section of the downtown core was fenced in and for many an hour no one was allowed in or out. Major highways were closed and businesses were forced to shut down on Friday or alter their work behaviour. Oh and the public transit system also shut down.

The cost of the summit was over ONE BILLION DOLLARS. This price tag is proof that the country was prepared for anything, but what transpired over the week-end is something I never expected. What happened was new and shocking for Toronto, for residents and business owners, police and protesters.

As the week-end draws to a close, I'm left with many unanswered questions from all sides and angles. Why smash windows, throw rocks and bricks or set fires? Why did the police storm peaceful protesters when only a few were causing the problems? And what came first, the installation of the fence or those trying to take it down?

I came to this city reluctantly but out of necessity for work. However, over the 10+ years that I've lived here, I now have learned to call it my home as it's not the pedestrian and boring city of my youth but a vibrant cosmopolitan metropolis of culture, arts, sports and well-being.

So I was shocked at how many behaved this week-end. Surely, protesting involves making clear messages and statements, not using hammers and boards to shatter windows at Starbucks, banks and other businesses nor burning police cars. Is it a lack of creativity? A lack of understanding about how to affect change?

I'm equally shocked at the behaviour of the police today (20,000 strong!). They set up a huge detention centre and held people "like pigs in a sty". I guess I don't get the "break everything in sight" because it's an opportunity thought process". Is it just for fun? When will all those police, storm troopers and military go away? I am very disheartened and hope I never see an event or type of behaviour here in Toronto again.

6 comments:

Vallypee said...

How sad Lesley how sad and shocking too. I can well imagine your distress and disappointment about both sides involved.

Unfortunately, and this is something Koos and I were talking about yesterday, society has become more inclined to violence, but whether that is because the police have too or whether the police are responding to it in kind, I cannot say. All the same it's a sad development.

Koos F said...

Here's the answer I see and it's not a nice one: the Problem - Reaction - Solution paradigm. It worked in Seattle, it worked in Toronto. It costs a billion dollars in taxpayers' money and the long term cost is the loss of freedom.
Oh and there was a great opportunity to test the concept of agents provocateurs.
I sympathise deeply with your distress and your sense of loss, Lesley.

Anne-Marie said...

For the life of me, I don't understand why these summits have to be held in large urban centres. Surely, for a billion dollars or less, one could rent an aircraft carrier and have it parked (or moving) in international waters somewhere where people would not be subjected for what hit my city this weekend. You could fly in the leaders and have military planes keeping a tight watch over the water, without all the ugliness that transpired.

I stayed well away from it all, enjoyed a quiet weekend watching footie, but, like you, watched the news with a horrified look on my face. This is my city?

xx
AM

grace said...

I saw that on the news, it serves no purpose. I feel your disgust.

String said...

Thanks Lannio for posting on this, I was hoping one of you Torontonians (LOL) would - I agree with Koos. I also heard many peaceful activists were roughed up and now on 'lists'.

BobbyB said...

Oh noz!