Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A few days south

Last Wednesday, my new contract position brought me to the hot city of Atlanta Georgia. For two days I had continuous meet and greet meetings so when Friday rolled around I was pooped. Once I got back to the hotel, I slept for two hours. I awoke hungry and decided to go across the street to a big 200 store mall to find food and clothing.

I stayed on over the week-end as I had arranged to meet with blogger Anne Marie's in-laws, Herb and Gwen who live in the Atlanta area. I had met Herb and Gwen many times before on week-ends in Port Dover, Ontario.

We met up just east of Atlanta at Stone Mountain, a bare quartz monozonite dome. It's elevation is 1,686 ft (513 m) above the surrounding area and its circumference is more than five miles (8 km) in circumference at its base. We took a gondola up to the top where we were stranded for an hour due to safety as a violent thunderstorms in the humid 95 (35) heat rolled nearby.

One of the few trees atop Stone Mountain

On our way to the top!

After getting down and eating some southern fare at the base, we dropped my car rental at the airport and then continued south to Herb and Gwen's home for a reprieve from the heat and humidity, except for when I took their little white bundle of joy out for a walk!


Westy, looking at me and wondering why we had stopped walking!

Since we had southern fare for lunch and it was suggested to me that we have Mexican, that's what we did. The music was blasting inside and luckily as the sun was setting, the heat was going down too so we ate on the patio.

Herb and Gwen on the patio

The next day, Herb insisted that I drive their new golf cart along their 18 hole golf course. It was about 7:00 and not too hot. My biggest regret is not having my camera because the golf course trail took us to some marvelous sights along the greens and through the wonderful Georgian woods.

We then talked and chatted in their sun room, which looks onto some woods

Herb and Gwen just love their new retirement (55 years+) community. They took me to see the model homes and the well equipped amenity centre after having lunch and before I was off to the airport.

Golf Course view from Amenity Centre

Herb and Gwen's new home.
(much larger than the camper they had for four years)

It was a lovely visit and I am thankful that my work took me to a place where I was able to visit Anne Marie's in laws. They are lovely people and truthfully feel like extended family to me. They certainly adore Anne Marie as well.

4 comments:

Vallypee said...

Isn't it wonderful that through meeting Anne Marie, you've been adopted into her lovely family too? They seem to adore you as well! A great trip with lost of interesting places to see for sure. That stone mountain looks amazing and Herb and Gwen's home is in a lovely position isn't it? Nice post Lesley, thanks!

String said...

Love the pics!

Anne-Marie said...

Ah, so cool to see the outlaws and little Westy. I love that the back lawn is now seeded and the views sure look wonderful.

Thanks for the wonderful post. So glad you had a fun time there. Next time, put the pooch in your carry-on. ;)

xx
AM

Dale said...

What a great opportunity, Lesley!
You've waited a long time for your new job, and look where it's taken you!
Not to mention the wonderful world of friendship that blogging has opened up for us...
Great photos, too!
I think that, even in my retirement years (I'm working on the Freedom 95 package...), I would miss the sight and sounds of children playing. I live close to the school and, although I can't see it, I do hear the happy sounds from the playground at recess and after last bell.
Today we are going to Cranbrook to meet Mum and Dad at the airport.
Yippee!
Hoping everything is good with you.

xo