Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Bridges

When away for Thanksgiving week-end, all the lakes and rivers were swelling from the huge amount of rain the area had received.

Because of this, I seemed to be paying more attention to some of the area's bridges so I took some photos.

This photo to the left is the little bridge on my parent's road that goes over Lost River, the river which feeds into the lake.


This second picture is of RJ's and my reflection on Lost River, taken from the bridge.

I'm sooo glad that it turned out.




The next two photos are a rivertop's view of the bridge that I took while on our canoe jaunt.




On a normal day, when the water isn't so high, we can paddle under the bridge. And, when the water is at it's normal height a small island can be seen under the middle post of the bridge. But certainly not on this day! So many youthful times were spent at this bridge.

Another bridge that crosses Lost River is on the main highway. So when I had to go to the little country store to pick up some beer, I ran across the road and snapped these.



This bridge is in the little town of Lost River.








I just love the contrast between the mirror-like calm water instantly churning into torrential rapids. Perhaps it is an illustration of how life can be a times.


This last photo (below) is taken over the Rouge River. Again, because the water is so high, the water in these rapids is churning wildly.


I have one distinct memory of this bridge when I was a child. I was horseback riding over the bridge and was very spooked because this strong bridge, made entirely of metal with metal pieces criss-cross each other (similar to the sides of the bridge), allows you to look right thru the bridge to the water below. I didn't like that idea and was afraid to cross the bridge - especially on something as high as a horse! I actually remember being terrified - but not anymore.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful!

Dale said...

...the first time I ever drank beer was under that very same bridge - on the rocks that are now covered with water...

Gotta love the Lost River bridge, too - the old swimming hole.

You have to take a picture of the bridge where Lost River gets lost...

I remember riding horseback across that bridge in Harrington, too!

Hope all is well - thinking of you.

Love
Dale

Anne-Marie said...

That is a truss bridge. I remember that from teaching grade 5 structures.

I love the picture of the water reflection. Gorgeous.

So glad about your good news! Good news must be fed!

Koos F said...

Hi Lannio,

Afraid I missed the good news, but sensed the concern in an earlier post.
Hope you're really alright!

You've chosen a Theme - and a Big One: bridges. I love the photos and the little stories that come with them (I can identify with that, you may have guessed that).
I hope you'll keep them coming, I'll be there to watch...

bookworm said...

Hi Lannio,
it's the first time I visit your blog. Great pictures. You live in such a beautiful country. Here in Germany the autumn is comming. It's cold, but the sun is shining. The leaves change the colour. Red and yellow. I love to see the changing. The winter is near.
Wish you all the best from Germany
Love and peace
Stefan

gypsy noir said...

love the reflection picture..

freethoughtguy said...

Outstanding photos. You've got a good eye!

Mary Beth said...

What wonderful pictures Lannio! I especially love the one with your reflection in it, and the calm water to torrid rush one. I remember going with my best friend and her parents to Rouge River for the day. We sat on the side near some rushing rapipds and had a picnic...good times....

Anne-Marie said...

Hello,
I hope you're feeling even better this morning. Thanks for a fun night.