Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Thanksgiving week-end 2006


I just arrived home after spending five beautiful days in the Laurentian Mountains of Quebec over Thanksgiving week-end. The weather was beautiful, with hardly any clouds and temperatures reaching as high as 22 C. I brought a friend/neighbour with me from Toronto and we stayed in my parent’s guest house. My friend RJ had never been to these mountains so I took her on many excursions.It’s the Fall season and there were still a few leaves on the trees, but the “height of the season” had passed and most of the leaves were on the ground. During the next week or so I’ll post lots of pictures. Here is an initial set to view.

Waking up the first day, this is the view of the back yard.

A few minutes later, taking a photo of the front view

24 hours later, we had the first frost of the season

Frost on the ground causes lots of fog to rise up from the water and obstruct one's view of the lake


The fog burns off and makes for wonderful canoeing conditions. We paddled up "Lost River", which feeds into the lake where my parent's live.

This is a peek of our first excursion to the "Harrington Valley", which is located about 10 kms from my parents.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been waiting for your sister to post first and I do wish her computer would get fixed. I miss her!

What a beautiful place to go home to! I had no idea. Your photos are beautiful. I really like the black house with red shutters. Quite unusual.

But my favorite is the one of the fog over the lake. You caught the essence of the morning's tranquility. I can almost hear a distant loon's call briefly breaking the silence ....

It sounds like you had a very nice holiday. Am looking forward to seeing more pics!

Cheers!
R

Anne-Marie said...

Lovely, lovely pics, Lannio. Aren't you lucky to have this little retreat to go to?

Does the Harrington valley eventually lead to Harrington Lake, right next to Meech Lake?

Thanks for sharing these beautiful shots, and I'm glad to read you had a great weekend. Thanksgiving is the best holiday, I think. All about food and good company, as it should be.

Koos F said...

These wonderful images breathe in evey pixel the wonders of Canadian nature that I have come to expect.
What a great confirmation of the beauty of the place where you live, Lannio.
It conjures up star spangled night skies, sizzling silence (that's the sound of silence) and a hint of the smell of a woodstove.

Lannio said...

Thanks

Anne-Marie, this Harrington is about 2 hrs. from Harrington Lake (thank goodness) - although my brother used to live just down the road from Harrington Lake in a town called Old Chelsea. This Harrington is directly north of Hawkesbury in La Belle Province.

Koos - Dale and I were extremely lucky to spend our summers in this part of the world. However, thru my travels I am constantly amazed at how beautiful our entire planet is.

Anne-Marie said...

Lannio,
Friends of mine had a summer house on the Meech Lake road, so I do know Old Chelsea and the area.

You let me know when you're in the mood for curry again, alright? I really enjoyed it the first time.

gypsy noir said...

beautiful scenery lannio..happy thanks giving from the ether..

Dale said...

Hi EL

I've been crazy busy this past week and my computer was down for a while.

The Who concert was AMAZING!!

I recognise all the photos you put up - but of course...
They bring back many memories, but you know, I have lived in the West twice as long as I lived there.
But it's the childhood memories that are strong, though.

We are having a recordly beautiful fall - colour and weatherwise.
Spent lots of time mountain biking and enjoying the scenery.
I took a trip to Canmore with Bob to see the pediatrician and the day was perfect!
I took photos of some of the mountains on the way home - Rundle, Bourgeau and Castle mountains.
It was glorious!

I hope to have time on Saturday to do a proper post on my site.

Love
Dale