Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Dollarama

Today I had a productive day at work then came home and had popcorn for supper! I had a big lunch and only needed a snack, but hey, at least it was vegetarian!

After “supper” a neighbour came by and deposited her dog in my condo as they are selling theirs. Their beautiful golden retriever, Hudson, would be too much of a distraction to potential buyers. After my neighbour left, Hudson and I decided to rearrange my tiny living room – which I have to say looks much better.

After I had everything complete another friend stopped by and asked me to go to the Dollar store with her. (Dollar store: where every item is one dollar or less)

Wow, what an amazing place. I haven’t been to a dollar store in a couple years and it was heaven. Really good items at bargain prices! I’m glad we only had 15 minutes to closing because I could have spent lots there. The thing that fascinated me the most were scrapbook items. You can buy decals, paper, sparkles and jewels to make a thousand different types of cards. My friend bought something for her niece, but I couldn’t decide. I am definitely going to make a return trip when I have an hour or two to spare. However, it will have to wait a little as I’m taking a five-day week-end to visit my folks.

This upcoming Monday is a Canadian holiday as we Canadians celebrate the fall harvest with our version of Thanksgiving. The next two nights I’ll be making preparations – such as making hors d’oeuvres and buying a farm fresh grain fed turkey from the world-famous farmers market just down the street (definitely not vegetarian) .

7 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

Dollar stores are frightening. I avoid them as much as possible, although as a teacher, they are a cheap source of arts and crafts materials and do come in handy around Halloween and the like.

So Hudson is a decorator dog? I loved that bit. :)

Cheers,
AM

Unknown said...

The last time I went to a dollar store my daughter, Hayley, was with me. She was nine or ten at the time (13 now!)and wanted everything. She couldn't understand why she couldn't get a lot since everything was only a dollar!

Hudson sounds fun. It will be interesting to see what Leo & Rory have to say about your visitor.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

R

Mary Beth said...

I agree with Anne-Marie, and was going to say the same thing about being convenient for teachers. I even find Walmart pretty scary, though, and avoid it at all costs, so that's just me!

Awww...who wouldn't want to buy a condo that had a sweet puppy dog living there?? I'm sure he enjoyed the diversion of interior decorating with you. :)

jillytee said...

Sounds delicious, hope you have a great time with your family. The dollar store sounds like somewhere I shall be visiting on my trip!
Jilly

Dale said...

It's only veggie if you don't use butter...

Sorry I haven't posted in a bit - I had a date with Pete and Roger.

OMG !!!

Dale said...

My kids love our dollar store!

Dale said...

Hey EL

How was Thanksgiving at home?

Hope you all had a good one - ours was easily one of the best!

I cooked a 30 pound turkey and had twelve for company.

...not to mention the fact that it all started with an amazing Who concert!

I am spreading the cheer and bringing left-overs to the neighbourhood.

...soup, sandwiches, etc.
YUM

Have a great week.

Love
Dale