Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Visiting Bloggers - an intersting concept

Monday, after skiing with sister Dale and niece Beth, we had a visit from Blogger Stevie. I must say it was a “very interesting” visit, but then again, British Columbia is known for its “country bumpkins”, “beatnicks” and “hippies”. But, I’m getting ahead of myself.

We were in Dale’s well appointed living room when we heard hoof-like sounds coming from the front of the house and then there was a hard thumping knock at the door. Dale, being the excellent housekeeper she is, opened the door to a very red, glassy-eyed and somewhat disheveled woman. To our shock and horror this woman said "Hey man, I'm Stevie, you know - the wonder child, only eat greens and don't cut down trees". When she walked in, I was aghast to see that her hair was dirty and stringy, with pieces of dirty straw in it. It clung to her head under a beaded head-band that clashed with her over-sized beaded jacket that concealled her flannel shirt that I can only imagine at one time was green. It was hard to tell because it looked gray. Her jeans were soiled and when she took off her heavy boots she was wearing mismatched, dirty and thread-bare socks that also had some straw clinging to them.

She grunted and handed Dale a bottle of her homemade wine that she proudly announced that she had bottled that morning. She was sorry that she was late, but had to attend to her house animals. Morty the pig, you see, has the habit of running out of the house every time the door opens and jumping into their 1977 Chevette and did just that, while Charlotte the goat sneaked into her ice box to grab a few of the vegetables. She also needed to ensure that the chickens she and her unmarried partner kept in the back room were in the right frame of mind to lay their eggs. And the mice that shared her bedroom had enough cheese to eat. These explanations gave Dale and I a hint about the source of her heavy - how shall I put it .... aaah .... eau du perfume.

She didn’t say much all evening, except to say "peace to us all" and preach about the simple life. She also kept running outside to take puffs of a funny smelling cigarette. Finally she left, but not after getting a battery boost for her Chevette which wouldn’t start.

Sometimes, you never really know who blogs.

8 comments:

Stevie said...

dude! we're all gawd's critters!

Anne-Marie said...

Just goes to show, you never know about those veggiesaurus types.

Are you still coming to dinner on Saturday? ;)

grace said...

yes, you never know. I often wonder who really is on the other end.

take care, xx

ian gordon said...

Hey, Stevie sounds cool. Did she look at all like Doris Day in Calamity Jane?
...and if she's a blogger, is she reading your post?

Stevie said...

And I'll ahve you know those were no ordinary mice... those were highly trained prescision Ninja mice!
Swiss cheese....

Stevie said...

wow, such spelling... frightening to think I am a literacy worker among other things!

Vallypee said...

LOL Lesley, now I've read both yours and Stevie's versions of this story, I'm inclined to side with stevie...chuckle...after all, I'm a water rate myself and used to do a thing or two with pigs and sheep...now now, don't get smutty! ;-)

Stevie said...

Ha Ha! I finally managed to wrangle photos onto my blogsite! You and me and Dale makes three!