Tuesday, March 06, 2007

I love Winter ...... but ....

.... this is crazy!

Last year when I took a job out near the airport I had to buy a car. It was something I did with reluctance because I loved being able to walk or take public transit to previous employment. After this week, I am still reluctant and here's why.


Last Thursday Toronto was hit with a huge snowstorm and so it took me 2.5 hours to drive back to the City core. The drive usually would take me 20 to 30 minutes. First we were hit with snow, then freezing rain, then rain. That was before it the temperature fell back below the freezing point.

Yesterday, when it was bright and sunny the aftermath of the storm still affected my drive. because police closed the Gardiner Expressway, Toronto's main artery into the city core for two days. Why? Because a combination of rising temperatures and extremely strong shifting winds caused pieces of ice, that were formed during last Thursday's storm, to tear off the world's tallest freestanding structure (The CN Tower) 435 metres up and land on the Gardiner expressway. It was reported that most of the chunks of ice falling were the size of baseballs. However, some said the largest chunk was 1.2 metres long and several centimetres thick. Wow!

The headlines, some as far away as Australia read something like this:

"Ice missiles close major Toronto expressway"
"Gardiner clos
ed as tower sheds ice"
"CN Tower's falling ice freeezes Gardiner for second day"

"Threat of 'Ice Bombs' closes major Toronto streets"

"Falling ice chunks spark closure of major artery, area streets"


You may have heard about it - it's true. My car may even be in the picture shown above 'cause I was caught in a traffic log jam.

The picture on the right is of the Gardiner just south of the city core, near Lake Ontario. Another picture shows how close the CN Tower is to the Gardiner. The last photo, from yesterday, shows the ice that is clinging onto the CN Tower. In the 30 + years of the tower's history, nothing like this has ever occured before.

I did my best to avoid the long commute by leaving work early yesterday 1.15 hour commute and driving in at "the crack of dawn" this morning 40 minute commute. Finally the expressway is reopened, however can close again if the winds pick up again.



12 comments:

Stevie said...

hah!
you see? Snow is evil!
Haha! It is melting like crazy outside! HHAHAAAHAAAHAAHAHA!!!
hee hee hee!!

Lannio said...

Hah, it's not the snow, but the freezing rain and the wet rain (which in turn causes ice). I still love snow - but yes it will be melting soon.

Unknown said...

I'm with you, Stevie!!!

Melting more every day. I can almost see my maple trees! I hope the ice didn't break them off....that would hurt...

...but not like getting a chunk off the CN tower in the windshield..WOW

ian gordon said...

Fascinates me how, after leaving here, I'll flip over to a blog in Cyprus and see all the flowers blooming...

Anne-Marie said...

I think it's time for a one-way commute to the airport.

We missed our bellydancing class on Monday because our teacher couldn't get out of downtown due to the falling ice. Wild!

grace said...

I used to commute in snow and it is not pretty, I do not think I can do it anymore, Had a dentist appt. a week ago and it was a little icy (on your standards - nothing) and I cancelled!!!

The world is funny, huh? You probably would have said to me, what? are you nuts? Stay inside because?? Lets go. ooh no it might be icy?! This is not Canada ok, lets go!!

gypsy noir said...

yay! i'm back..saw your post on dales birthday ,the photo's were terrific..she is a stunner..will catch up on the posts soon and book tag..hmmm..xxx..

Vallypee said...

Amazing Lannio, I can't imagine anyone closing a road here due to flying ice missiles, more like flying coke bottles off the bridges...lol. Great pictures, dear and I'm glad for your sake that the freeze has eased up a bit. Aren't you even the tiniest bit jealous of Anne marie going to the Pacific...sigh...I am!

gypsy noir said...

If one flake of snow hits the air-landing strip or railway lines..'everything' is cancelled..and the gritters only come out when its too late!..

Mary Beth said...

Yeah, we heard all about this. Pretty interesting! We got the storm on Friday morning, and it was pretty nasty. Instead of going out, I called in sick for my half day of work, and skipped my other half day of classes. I can't wait for spring!!

Dale said...

Hi Lesley

Yes, we are all definitely at the mercy of Mother Nature!
It seems the denser the population the greater effect her fury has.

A couple of years ago we had an ice storm - the kids and I simply stayed home...
George slid to work across the lake.
Simple.

Last year, after a huge dump of snow, a chinook blew through and melted everything within hours.
I had to slide and skid down the mountain in my van at 15-20 kmph after skiing.
The lineup of vehicles was a good 3 km along that narrow canyon road!

Last week that same road was closed for a few hours during the day due to several snow slides - proof that Spring is on its way.

We're off to the hill again today!
Skiing on the corn snow in the sun!
Yahoo

Hope it melts quickly for you!

Dale said...

I remember hearing the news of the Gardiner being closed due to falling ice from the tower...

And I thought of you.