Wednesday, March 14, 2007

skiing anyone?


These strange structures are actually the "encasement" for a middle-east ski resort in the Dubai. It's only a couple of years old, but has enjoyed great popularity with it's residents who are usually exposed to "desert like" weather 365 days a year.


It is an indoor complex, and only one of the bizarre architectural structures that Dubai has to offer.


Perhaps with global warming and the ski resorts having difficulty staying afloat, they can learn from this technology !

I learned about this strange building when a friend sent me a wonderful powerpoint presentation on Dubai, which highlighted many of its architectural feats. Perhaps I'll stay there sometime, some of the hotels highlighted in the presentation only cost about $8,000 a night!

I nabbed these items off google images. There are a lot more of them to see.

Another strange structure. A building with rotating floors. Every floor rotates at a different time. They also have a hotel in the shape of a sailboat and a man-made residential development in the ocean with artificial penninsulas that looks like a palm tree from above. (Yes, I know that sounds peculiar - and yes - difficult to describe..... but it's true!)

5 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

Hi Lesley,
I've seen these photos before, and they do astound!

Thanks for the weather update for Toronto on my blog. I guess I'd better keep the wool socks out a little longer. :)

Stevie said...

Hi Lesley
I wonder if Dale approved of these slopes...
going to take a wee break... back soon...

Dale said...

Hi Lesley

Yes, I've seen this before - they did an article about it in my Ski Canada magasine.

I'm sure the combined income of the residents of Dubai come to more than the combined income of all the residents of Canada!

I'd love to say I've skied in the desert...

Vallypee said...

Hi Lesley
I wonder that that worry about snow with all that sand! I'll bet there's technology available that makes it possible to ski on dunes! They really must want the snow to do this...it's amazing!

Thanks for showing us this unique construction! I guess I would never have known about it but for you...the wonder of having blogging pals who are as interesting as they are fun ;-)

gypsy noir said...

oh, i saw something about this on the news..its amazing!..well, we are forcast for snow this week, its going to be a white easter..