Saturday, March 10, 2007

Afternoon Tea


On a cold Saturday afternoon in the city of Toronto, four young (well young at heart) derelict woman decided to jump out of the box and see how the "other half" live.

So we put on some fine attire (by our standards) and shuffled off to The Kind Edward, one of the city's finest hotels for afternoon tea.


When we arrived, the staff looked at us and decided to sit us outside the tearoom along some tables bordering their grand lobby that was two stories high with intricate architectural touches. We were the first ones seated in this section. After a short while, a waiter with a crisp white starched ironed uniform approached us and handed a two page menu of food and tea selections. We all chose the "King's Tea" which came with an array of finely made scones with clotted cream, very dainty sandwiches (e.g. cucumber), wonderful sweets and your choice of Twinings tea. Three of us chose Lady Grey tea, while the fourth had Prince of Wales. I chuckled to myself and had to explain that I would be drinking "horse tea" because the first horse I ever rode was called Lady Grey - a wonderful beast that had all the patience in the world for a young derelict madwoman like me.

We didn't think there was enough food to fill us up because of its total snobby refinement, but we were wrong ... it was filling and it was good! While we were munching and giggling over such things as the starched white table cloths, the attire of staff and the serving etiquette, the tables around us got filled. Apparently it was a very busy afternoon for the tearoom. Some were dressed like us (outside the tea room of course) while others were a little more ... how shall I say ... used to this type of stuff. It cost a bundle, but it was a cool experience.

On the way home (by foot of course - cause we didn't have enough money for subway fare) we stopped at the Grocers and bought Lady Grey tea on sale! (Lady Grey tea is a milder form of Earl Grey).

10 comments:

Dale said...

I was just commenting on your previous post when you were publishing this one...

Yes, Lady Grey taught me how to ride horseback!
I learned most of what I know while looking between her dappled ears...

This reminds me of Tea and Theatre.
Did they seat you outside the tearoom because you looked too derelicte?

Snobs

gypsy noir said...

How devine that looks..i hope you all remembered to cock your little fingers as you lifted your tea cups..in fine derelicté etiquette form..
did you know that twinnings named their famous earl grey tea after the 1830's prime minister earl grey who was from my part of the world northumberland...
hope you enjoyed your swim..

E.L. Wisty said...

There is some really special atmosphere in the afternoon tea. Something very past world, quaint, yes, ENGLISH. :-)

Dale said...

How was the swim?

Wet?
Cold?

Lannio said...

Gyps - yes we did do the finger thing, but then got strange looks and laughs from the old ladies sitting at the next table. Hey, thanks to you I now know who the Earl was.

Dale - the swim was great. The water was pleasantly cool and very wet. The Karaoke last night was cool too. I sang "White Wedding" from Billy Idol and the Beatle's "Oh Darling". Someone else beat me to the Paradise song.

Unknown said...

I just got a mental picture of the 'tearoom people' visiting the karoke bar.... not a pretty one - mind you! lol

Giggling over starched white tablecloths and finger sandwiches sounds so fun! And cracking up the old ladies at the next table with your pinky extensions - lmao.

Stevie said...

Oh how I wish I was there with you! My friend Harrison wants to take me for high tea in Victoria. He and his boyfriend would go once a month when they lived there, and it sounds like loads of fun!
Ian is always talking about clotted cream, and I have always wanted to try it.

Anne-Marie said...

How beautifully civilised. I have to tell you, though, that I cannot drink earl grey or anyone else in his family. Too soap-like for me.

Stevie, I think tea at the Empress would be fabulous. I had tea at the British tea house close by one year and was horrified to receive tea bags.

There is a tea house just a few blocks from us here in SF called Lovejoy's and I think you've inspired us to go!

Vallypee said...

How terribly, frightfully civilised Lesley...lol. I bet you absolutely loved it. Gosh, I haven't had an English tea like that in years...did they give you cucumber sandwiches with the crusts cut off too??

What incredible fun and a great idea for a weekend afternoon. bravo..what ho ;-) (says she with big fat plum in mouth to suit the occasion)

grace said...

It sounds simply lovely!!

Those pastries look delicious. What a great afternoon. Have to do something special once in awhile.