Tuesday, April 24, 2007

All Things Must Pass

Well, it's a good thing that I've been hunting for a job because I've learned that my current job contract will be ending May 31. Intrinsically, I'm delighted because I haven't been very happy at this job, but extrinsically it’s a little daunting thinking I may be without a steady salary in just over a month - so my stress level has elevated a little bit.

I did have an interview last week where I had to start with a 10 minute presentation on their material in front of a five-person panel. After the presentation was over I was bombarded with interview questions. While I didn't do badly - in reflection, I feel that I didn't particularly do a good job demonstrating how my past could help them in their future efforts. They decided to go with another candidate who probably did a better job making that connection. But, I was #2 out of 94 applicants! (oh so close….)

However, one must carry one’s learning forward to new opportunities, which is exactly what I did at last night’s interview for another job at another company. At the end of the interview I was told that I should expect a call for a third and final interview – so I’ll just have to keep my fingers and toes crossed on this one (which would be an excellent opportunity) while keeping my eyes and ears out for other potentially excellent opportunities.

Spring can indeed bring new opportunities so I say “Good-bye to the ho-hums and hello to new challenges and experiences”. While it’s normal to be a bit stressed about what may be unemployment – I need to keep my head high and smile. …. Ugh, wish me luck ;-)

9 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Wow, that first interview sounded awful! Talk about high stress to have to give a presentation, as if you're not stressed enough having to be interviewed in the first place.

I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you that your most recent interview comes through! Spring cleaning is a wonderful thing, both household-wise and mentally.

Anne-Marie said...

Hi Lesley,
I sometimes think being #2 is much harder than being further down the list because you can taste it. Sorry you didn't get that one.

I know you're looking for a change and I wish you the best of luck with it! You're going to find that one job that's right for you, I just know it.

gypsy noir said...

GOOD LUCK!!..you know the more interviews you do the more experienced you become, don't see it as rejection, see it as opportunity!!!..
well done on getting second, thats a positive thing..fingers, toes and eyes crossed for you..

Stevie said...

I am going to cross absolutely everything for you... even my legs!
that's right, no nookie for me until Lesley has landed a new and fabu job!
Oh dear...
Make it quick, please....
If you need a smile come see your big sis with her s'mores on my blog. She was my saviour, and I adore her!

Stevie said...

And I bet that first job would have sucked... this next one is the ticket.
My libido and I are counting on it!
Hee hee!
;)

bookworm said...

Hello Lesley,
I wish you all the best luck from over the ocean and I cross my fingers.
Take care.
Love and peace
Stefan

Vallypee said...

Lesley! I'm sorry I missed this again! It's strange because I often look at your blog, but I always just seem to miss the latest post. I've obviously been slacking!

Anyway, I think you did a tremendous job doing a presentation at an interview before a panel! That's such a tough thing to impose on a candidate. I reckon if that is what they demand at an interview, you're better off without the job because imagine what they would demand of you at work! As Anne Marie says, being #2 is almost worse than being way down the list, but you did tremendouwly well to get there in the first place.

Never fear, the right job will come! Don't let the prospect of being out of work for a while worry you. Just see it as an opportunity to prepare yourself for interviews better if you haven't had success by the time you leave. We're holding everything possible for you xxx

E.L. Wisty said...

Hi Lannio,

I admire your optimistic and forward-looking approach, and am keeping my fingers crossed that you'll find a new job that is both inspiring and guarantees sufficient income.

Anonymous said...

:D

Keep smiling. Val says it helps keep your chin up!

Wishing you the best of luck....