Monday, May 14, 2007

Klienberg

This past week-end’s weather was all about sunshine and pleasantly cool temperatures at around 16oC.

Saturday was a perfect day for a quiet outing north of the city to the quaint little town of Klienberg, now surrounded by the suburban sprawl of identical looking, mammoth homes situated on tiny lots.

What makes Klienberg a destination point for us from downtown’s diverse neighbourhoods is the wonderful art museum, the McMichael Gallery.

The McMichael Gallery is most famous for its large permanent collection of the Group of Seven. This group, actually consisting of 10 extraordinary painters traveled the country in the early 1920s and created some of Canada’s most celebrated works. (mostly oil on canvas, but also some acrylics on canvas). I’ve been to this gallery several times and never tire of these works.

The structure housing these works is also impressive as the gallery itself is a huge log building, complete with high ceilings, huge wooden beams and vistas as wonderful as the artwork itself overlooking a protected conservation woodland.

The visit, however also had a special exhibition of BC West coast painter Takao Tanabe. His exhibit displayed several large size acrylics on canvas works. My favourite works were from the early 2000’s of sea and landscapes.

The trip was lots of fun and also included visits to the local roadside shops and a nice lunch.

I’m now into the last week of my current job – hurray.

12 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

Repeat after me, my dear. Klein, Klein, Klein, Klein.... And no, they didn't name the town after me! ;)

I love Kleinberg. It's such a cute little town. Glad you had a good time and I'm looking forward to hearing you live in blogland!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for these links.

I haven't heard of the Group of Seven, and finding this tonight is interesting. I'm gagging to get out of my little studio for a few days. I think my sketchbook out there in the countryside (with a flask of tea), is just what's needed.

ian gordon said...

Audio clips:

First of all, where do you want the clip. Playing in the background? On your profile? Or in a post?

Answer here....

Lannio said...

I thought you'd be interested in the Group of Seven. My grandmother's best friend was a student of one of them (A.Y. Jackson) and as a result I was fortunate to view her private collection of his work, including peliminary sketches of some of his most famous works.

As for the audio clip, I like the idea of it playing in the background, or perhaps in a post. I have the file on my computer.

ian gordon said...

Okay, WHEREVER you want your sound file, first of all you have to host your mp3 file elsewhere.

I host mine at Fileden 'cos it's free:

http://www.fileden.com/account.php?action=login

If your file is NOT mp3 it might be a little large and "freeze" from time to time during playback.

If you need to convert to mp3, and don't think you have the equipment, let me know.

Otherwise, host your file, get the link to your file (no different to a photo except it will say mp3 at the end instead of jpg), and I'll be back soon with the code to put it on your blog.

Vallypee said...

A lovely trip with a special destination, Lesley. Sounds like a great day out with some beautiful art works as an excuse for going. Thanks for telling us about it!

And, enjoy the build up to your new job dear! Looking forward to hearing how that goes too. I'm also looking forward to hearing your voice over the cyberwaves.

ian gordon said...

Hmmm... the comments box is not allowing me to post HTML. Don't worry. I'll organise a link.

Koos F said...

Can't wait to hear you sing!!!!!!

ian gordon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ian gordon said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lannio said...

Thanks Ian. Your instructions are wonderful. I think I only have one more question.

I've created a fileden account and have the mp3 uploaded. I have the code to insert, however, I'm not sure where I'm supposed to insert the code. I've tried two places but it hasn't worked - invalid source feed or invalid html code.

Your help is greatly appreciated :-)

ian gordon said...

Ah, bugger.

This is where Mr. Googlemacwindows Bloggertube prevents you from having any kind of free speech.

If your new blogger template is preventing you from inserting the code, (and this is also a problem with stat counters), you can change the template back to its original "classic" setting and view the HTML as in days of old.

Go to Template tag, Edit HTML, "Revert to classic template".... Then you can put stuff in the Sidebar section like I do. BUT!!!!!!!!!! It will wipe out your current posts and pictures!!!!

That's why I got a few ready before going beta.

Sounds like you're going to have to put the direct URL in a post. In the post window select the HTML tag setting, then place the direct URL link in the box. Best to do this on its own, and then put relevant text in the NEXT post. If you don't use titles both posts will look like one.