Monday, June 25, 2007

David

Ladies and Gentlemen please meet David, he is the official mascot of Fort Henry. A historic fort that looks over Lake Ontario and the mouth of the St. Lawrence River.
I met him this weekend when I visited Prince Edward County (as isthmus on the northern shore of Lake Ontario), Kingston a historic city that is home of one of Canada's best universities and Gananoque, Canada's gateway to Canada's thousand island region.

He was more interested in eating clover than saying hello to us.

Here are some snaps I took on the week-end.

Fort Henry, Kingston Ontario

The Kingston port at the Rideau River

Below are photos from the Thousand Island region of the St. Lawrence River.

Up to four years ago, I spent much of my time in this region as I was lucky enough to be with a man who had two boats and a house on the shores of this river. It was not only a week-end of relaxation, but also of wonderful reflection from days gone by.

In a few weeks I'll be coming back to Prince Edward County for camping (hopefully if my holidays come thru). A couple of weeks ago it was officially declared a designated wine region and I have a map of where the vinyards are. I think I'll have to go shopping when I'm up there and share the goods with my wine-loving friends ;-)

11 comments:

Dale said...

I'll bet there are more than 1000 islands...

It's such a beautiful area.
I hope your camping plans work out.

Nice goat.

Anne-Marie said...

Lovely photos of a beautiful place. Am I sensing a diversion through wine country on our way to the camping sand dunes?

xx
AM

Lannio said...

Either that AM, or a day jaunt for an hour or so. You are hip to my drift.

xx
L

Stevie said...

all the photos of your last few posts are wonderful. I have a good friend that teaches at Ryerson. He was one of my profs in Calgary when I was at SAIT, but they moved east several years ago. If he had his way, I think he would be back here in a heartbeat. I miss him.
If you are somewhere with sand, and you happen to think of it, would you scoop a little up for me and write down where and when you got it? I collect sand... I know, odd, but it is a big thing for me. I have it from all sorts of places in the world.

Stevie said...

oh yeah, and have lots of fun!
David seems self absorbed.

grace said...

This area look beautiful. Thank you for sharing the photos.

Always pleased to see a pic of an animal, food is so much more important than saying hello!!

xx

Unknown said...

Great pictures. That area looks gorgeous - winerys eh? Camping sounds great, too. Haven't been yet this year.

Stevie, I have sand from Costa Maya for you....

Goats are funny about eating - and people are SO much more interesting when they have clover....

Vallypee said...

Well, hello David!! You are a very fine young goat if I may say so! And you live in a stunning place!

Lesley these are lovely photos. I hope you get the holiday you are dreaming of and have some time to relax here. The wine sounds good too!

It must have been wonderful to go sailing around the islands.

MargieCM said...

All that and boats to explore it? Bliss!

That's a very handsome goat. We had one quite like it when I was about 10 or 11. We hand-raised him from a kid, as he was a weak little thing and his mother rejected him ... which is precisely what I did when two years later he gouged a lump out of my forearm when I patted him. I still have the scar.

gypsy noir said...

Oh Billy goat gruff..cutey!..
Lesley is that where Thousand Island Dressing comes from?..
nice place and pictures..it looks so fresh..

Lannio said...

Yes Gypsy, Thousand Island Dressing was invented here. The St. Lawrence River is the border between Canada and the US. A famous Hotelier from NYC who owned the Waldorf Asteria hotel had a cottage in this region. He invented this dressing while at the cottage - hence the name.