Thursday, July 05, 2007

Summer Reading

I am all set for the rest of the Summer with literature.

Last week at work I won a gift certificate for our largest bookstore chain and decided to buy a bunch of books with it.

After reading Val's African Ways, it took me back to a book I read in Fiji a couple of years ago called Ladies #1 Detective Agency. It's about a woman, Precious, who opens up the detective agency in Botswana. This delightful light read was written by a Alexander McCall Smith, a professor of Medical Law at the University of Edinburgh who was born in Botswana. For awhile I knew that he has written sequels so that is what I spent my gift certificate on. There are seven books in the entire series and I bought four of them, including one titled "Morality for Beautiful Girls" (take note my blogger friends!!!)

I'm looking forward to reading them at my leisure during my holidays and lazy evenings after work.

ps: the gift certificate was for winning a quiz at work on Olympic trivia.... little did they know I used to work for the Canadian Olympic Association (hehehe)

... next blog I'll have to write about my perfect day.

8 comments:

Dale said...

Hi Lesley!

How was your weekend with Mum and Dad?

It sounds like you have the summer covered, as far as reading goes.
I'm still immersed in AW and I'm loving it.
Thanks again!

When we were in Fiji I read Life of Pi. Excellent!

I'm not sure what I'm going to read when I'm done with Val's book...

grace said...

Hi, Olympic trivia, I would like that. Big Summer Olympics fan.

I have been to Fiji, where did you go? I loved it there.

xx

Anne-Marie said...

Hi Lesley,
Funny that I too wrote my latest post about literary things. I have to confess that I tried to read the first Alexander McCall Smith book in the series and just could not get into it. It must have something to do with my lack of concern for morality... ;) I'm currently reading "Innocent Traitor", a novel of the life of Lady Jane Grey, and loving it.

Enjoy these lazy days while we have them. I love the summer, the heat, the free time- it's all good.

xx
AM

Lannio said...

Our family, celebrating our parents 50th anniversary, went to an island called Toberua. It's not too far from Suva.

Chaz said...

Hello Lesley

Thakns for visiting my page, tell me what do you think of this Live Earth crap?

Stevie said...

I have to look into this live earth thing... keep seeing chaz asking about it!
books are wonderful... my dream home would have a HUGE library!
Will have a look for the book, and looking forward to your perfect day! Remember:realism is optional!

MargieCM said...

Hi Lesley - congrats on the prize, and double congrats on winning something so fabulous. It's a delicious feeling going into a bookshop with money to spend. Enjoy your reading!

Dale said...

What kind of work are you doing in Kananaskis?

Anything to do with the hotel or golf course?

I'll have to visit!