Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Looking at the past brightly

As many of you know, I spent the last three days in Montreal participating in a work-related course on Copyright. Montreal is the place where I spent the first 22 years of my life. The course was only a block away from the office building that housed my first job as an insurance policy typist in a typing pool. At that time I was 17, "wet behind the ears" but knowing everything there was to know about life - just like all teenagers do at that age! But really, I knew nothing, or nearly nothing at all and was full of fragility and low confidence.

Being so close to my past led me on a journey (or a long walk and drive) through the city to some of my old hang-out joints, old elementry and high schools, and the four places where I lived ... (two with family and two on my own). I walked and drove around Montreal like a native, yet looked at the city with new eyes, almost like a tourist appreciating many things like the architecture that I used to take for granted as being normal.

Since I left there I've added 24 years to my life and added 24 pounds to myself, I've travelled half way around the world, attained multiple university degrees, gained much more self-confidence and have made more than 24 new friends. I really have come a long way since I was 17 and knowing nothing!

24 years ago, I never thought I would take a course on copyright with a room full of bright lawyers, including some law professors. The course was amazing and my fellow classmates highly impressive. We learned a lot, but it made me realize that I still know next to nothing. In fact, the more I learn the more I realize this.

All in all, it was an enjoyable trip for the course content and also for the trip down memory alley. I guess I'll just have to accept that I'll never be a "know it all". But be thankful for all the good things that have come my way and even the trying times that have built my strength and made me who I am today, who may not no everything, but is happy with where she's gone.

Now, I wonder what the next 29 years will bring?

6 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

Hi Lesley,
how nice that you were able to go down memory lane and put it in such positive perspective- many people cannot do that when they go back home again.

Enjoy the remaining trips!

xx
AM

Mary Beth said...

What a memorable thing to go see the old haunts. It's also great that you know the city that well to drive around to places you know. Kind of like when I go to Toronto (though I never lived 22 years there!). It makes for old memories and new experiences.

I'm sure the next 29 years will bring lots of wonderful things! :)

Dale said...

Hi Lesley!

I know what you mean about looking at old haunts with new eyes.
Every time I go home to visit Mum and Dad it's like that.
It's been 32 years since I moved away and I hope the next 32 are just as wild and wonderful - but maybe with a bit more money... LOL

I'm pretty tired from working and learning all week, so I'm going to bed in a bit.
I'm taking Bob and Jen to summer camp tomorrow and have to finish packing them.

Have a great weekend!

Vallypee said...

Glad you enjoyed the course, Lesley, and it's always nostalgic to visit placed where you've spent a goodly long time before. The familiarity is somehow so comforting.

Nice to see you back too!

gypsy noir said...

Nobody knows it all anyway..
thats what makes us all special, because we all know different things.. Memorie lane is nice to visit once in a while but it's nice to make new ones too..

ian gordon said...

As George Harrison once sang: "The further one travels, the less one really knows".

Apart from my childhood countryside, I ve never yet been back to anywhere I once lived. I keep telling myself I should nip back and see Liverpool where I was an art student. But I reckon most of its gone now.

Nevertheless, the personal journey it triggers off inside can be interesting.