Thursday, August 02, 2007

It's Hot, but I'm still trotting

The "dog days of summer" have arrived in my neck of the "concrete woods". Temperatures reaching 35c or 95f. However, this still hasn't stopped me from trotting the 3km stretch between home and work. Thankfully I have central air so that I can cool down nicely upon my arrival home. It makes a huge difference because I probably lose a pound or two (a kilo) from water loss. Surprisingly I still enjoy it in the heat, but perhaps my iPod has something to do with that!

Things have been slow socially, but ramping up at work. This week-end is a long week-end so I'm going up to the mountains to see some real woods for a change! My cats are not going to be too happy because I'll be away in the mountains for three week-ends in a row, including one full week. But at least they'll be comfortable in the central air... Sure it won't be as cool as I would normally keep it, but at least they won't have to deal with the very oppressive humidity that always seems to accompany our high temperatures.

8 comments:

Dale said...

Have fun at the lake!

It's 35 degrees here...

Stevie said...

I have to start walking up the steep, and reasonably big hill across from our place very day for the next couple of weeks, and do TONS of walking in Ottawa. I have committed to a photo shoot on top of Mount Swansea on the 25th. For someone as active as our darling Dale, Mount Swansea ain't no biggie, but for someone in questionable shape (ahem, me) with a large camera backpack on her back... I'll need to go a couple of hours early so I can recover before they arrive!

Stevie said...

Hey Les, I'll get your cell # from Dale so we can try to touch base while I am in Ottawa!
I am hoping maybe you , me and Mary Beth (And Anne Marie if she is able and near enough) to have a visit all together...

grace said...

Enjoy the mountains!

MargieCM said...

Wow - you run or jog in that heat? You're made of tough stuff! Hope you drink a lot to keep from getting dehydrated. Ha - listen to me - she who'd rather poke a fork in her eye than exercise in anything over 25 degreees! What an expert.

Do you leave your cats inside while you're away? Mine's going a little mad when I keep her in for the night at the moment. She has to be inside then to protect possums and other nightlife, and also because she has no roadsense at night and would be skittled by the first car to dazzle her with its lights. She spends a long time prowling around the house looking for escape routes and looking pathetic. At least your cats have each other to play with.

Humidity is very debilatating. Enjoy your weekends in the mountains!

Vallypee said...

I'm also impressed that you run in that heat Lesley! Maybe it's cooled down a bit now but I have to say I'm envious of your heat. Still I can't complain too much. We have had some super days here too lately and it's been so wonderful to share them with my daughter and her boyfriend. They left this morning and I am missing them sadly already. Enjoy the rest of your August dear xx

Anne-Marie said...

Hi Lesley,
I think it's always great when one can walk to work. I do tip my chapeau to you for doing it in this weather when it must be daunting downtown.

We so enjoyed getting together with you last night. I hope your mountain getaways will prove to be great fun!

xx
AM

gypsy noir said...

It doesn't matter how hot it gets here (if ever) theres always a nice cool breeze from the north east coast, i love that but a lot of people complain about it..
have fun in the woods..if you come across any teddy bears having a picnic be sure to give them a big surprize..