Friday, August 14, 2009

Do you remember woodstock?

Being just a kid in 1969 and probably being at the summer cottage I had no idea this iconic event was happening. But, last night I was able to get a taste of some of the music that was played on Yasgur's farm in upstate New York because I attended a Woodstock tribute night hosted by Toronto's classic rock station, Q107. We heard Santana, The Band, The Grateful Dead, Joe Cocker, Janis Joplin, CCR, Jimi Hendrix and Who tunes. Most of the bands were outstanding in their presence and musicality including - and I bet you guessed it - the Wholigans! Each set was about 45 minutes in length so we only had a little taste of each band. Barry and the boys (Darren, Bill and Dave) performed Summertime Blues, Amazing Journey, Sparks, Pinball Wizard, See Me, Feel Me/Listening to You, Baba O'Riley, and Won't Get Fooled Again. They, along with Michael White who performed Joe Cocker were my favourites - but I can't ignore the Janis, Jimi and Santana performances that were outstanding as well.

Q107 put on a mighty fine bash for its listeners and so they, along with the performers should be congratulated. It was even a more special treat to see/listen to the Wholigans again who had the crowd rocking better than any of the others.

Another mighty fine thing about the evening was The locale. It was at the Sound Academy on one of Toronto's many waterfront piers. Absolutely amazing outside views of the city's skyline, which at sunset is breathtaking!

On another note .....

The mercury has finally risen to near 30C levels so I'm off to Port Dover on Saturday for a quick visit and some, hopefully refreshing dunks in Lake Erie.

5 comments:

Dale said...

Ha, I was just over on AM's blog, so, after reading your comment, I sped right on over here.

Remember my friend, Andy Vinet?
Her oldest brother, Gary, was at the original Woodstock and he had quite the tales to tell! I was 12 and totally in awe of Gary - he had to have been all of 18...

It sounds like it was a great time!
All minus the bad acid, mud, rain, births, deaths...

xo

grace said...

me too, like Dale!

That sounds like a really fun evening. The best memory I like hearing about is when Pete, hit Abbie Hoffman with his guitar.
Well, that was a bit away from the peace and love, but don't get on stage when The Who are playing!!

Vallypee said...

Just popped over here from AM's blog too. You must have had a fabulous time Lesley! In 1969, I was 14 and had just woken up to the Who. Tommy was my first real ear opener as far as rock music was concerned. I knew about Woodstock but only made it myself to the Isle of Wight, a year later when I went with my 21 year old brother and his friends. Being only of tender age then too, I managed to sleep through the entire Who set (the band I'd gone to see in the first place) and also Jimi Hendrix's last live performance...duh! I have the DVD's now, so all these years later, have been able to catch up!

String said...

WOW...watched the re-edited Woodstock film last night, what a change...life was so different then.

Anne-Marie said...

Hi Lesley,
I hope you enjoyed your weekend in Port Dover. We just came in earlier tonight. Going to the hot tub now to fix my ECN (economy class neck).

xx
AM