Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Thanks AM & G for a great week-end


My "super week-end" was launched on a beautiful Friday night on Danforth St., known for its famous greek food. I met Anne-Marie there and sampled their famous fare before heading down to Queen and Broadview to meet and listen to birthday boy Barry and the rest of the Wholigans. (I know I was lucky to be invited to this event as I was taken as Anne-Marie's guest and wasn't her first choice. AM's best friend and who-crazed fan Antoinette was visiting Toronto and was supposed to go - but had a return flight a few days before the event. Knowing that I'm a classic rock crazed singer who loves the Who - Anne-Marie graciously asked me and wasn't gonna turn it down).

Once arriving at the venue, we were warmly greeting by an excited and friendly Barry along with his really really nice wife Terry. We chatted for awhile before taking seats right next to the dance floor. Before the music began Anne-Marie was working the room, talking to many acquaintances while I was taking in the atmosphere, chatting to a few people myself and listening to the classic and fantastic (pre-1975) Rod Stewart tunes streaming from the sound system.

Friends of the Wholigans began the evening on stage playing music from The Band, Free and one of the best live performances I've seen of Grand Funk Railroad's
I'm your captain/I'm coming home. Then - Barry and the boys took the stage and the room became electric. The musicianship was first-rate and the onstage antics were hallarious!

Anne-Marie and I spent most of their set on stage dancing up a storm and forgetting about anything and everything except for what what was happening in those moments.
(We did take a short break and the second time we went up my left hip was killing me - but I worked through the pain until it temporarily left.) Being the crazed singer that I am - I sang along to every song sung - knowing all the words but no one including myself could hear 'cause it was as loud as the Who (Pete, Rog and those who left us but still in our hearts would have been proud). Yippie! I caught a T-shirt that was thrown out into the crowd by Barry. Wish it was Antoinette's size - but think Dale will be the lucky one.

I stumbled in at 2:00 am and awoke to the beck and call of Anne-Marie's sister as she had invited me to Port Dover for the week-end and wanted to leave the city as early as possible. I stumbled out of bed, limped to the car and was on the road at about 9:15.

PD was great! My hip prevented me from helping Giz out in the garden, but spent that time preparing for my important meeting on Thursday. At other times, we enjoyed sangria (thanks for the great recipe hint Giz), listened to tunes, ate BBQ steak (thanks Rob), hosted some of Rob's friends and enjoyed the garden. On Monday we went to the beach. The waves were gigantic, the breeze was cooling the hot tempertatures and the crowds enormous but not intrusive.

Back in Toronto now preparing for meetings on Thursday and next week. Thanks for the great memories AM, G and R!

My hip is much better but still not perfect. Guess that while I felt like I was 18 on Friday my body gave me a reality check and made me feel more than my 48 years!

9 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

You're welcome! You really did get that picture of me up there, didn't you? (insert substitute jokes at will....)

I'm glad you had a great weekend. We did too, enjoying every meal on the newly cleaned deck for all of it, not that you could do that today with the thunder and lightning going on.

xx
AM

Dale said...

WooHoo Lesley!

That sounded like total fun - the entire weekend!
I wish (but only sometimes...) that I lived in a larger centre, so I'd have the opportunity to see more great performances.

I love the pic of AM and Barry - he certainly resembles a young Roger there.

xx

Vallypee said...

Yay Lesley!! Good for you working through the pain all the same. From both yours and Anne Marie's accounts, it must have been a truly exhilarating evening and really great fun. Your weekend sounded marvellous too. How lovely to be able to go the beach with such warm and welcoming friends. So glad you're on the up Lesley and good luck with your meetings! xx

grace said...

Yawhoo! Boy you and Anne Marie, really ripped it up! :)
You wild Wholigans!

bookworm said...

Hi Lannio,

thank's for stopping on my blog. Hope all is well in your life.
Yeah, it was a great U2 gig in Germany. I saw them with my son, he is 13 years old and we saw U2 together 2005 in Gelsenkirchen, too. Read you had a fantastic weekend with Anne Marie. Great!

Now I must work a little bit. I come round later.

Love from over the ocean.
Stefan

PS: Do you speak some German?

String said...

Sounds great, nice description, could feel the infectious energy! Nice to have you follow Dale around! ;-)

Lannio said...

Stefan,

ich sprechen kien deutche ... but as illustrated know a few words. Deutcheland is a beautiful country.

bookworm said...

Hi Lesley,

I thought, because sometime you approached some words. Think German is a very difficult language with a lot of traps.

"Ich spreche kein Deutsch" is accurately.
I give you some help, if you need.

Thanks for your kind words about Germany. Do you have visiting Germany in the past?

Have a good day.

Love
Stefan

Lannio said...

Hi Stefan,

Yes, I've visited Germany a few times directly from Canada and many times when I lived in Annecy France.

Lesley
xx