Saturday, December 02, 2006

To bring in the month and the official start of my holiday season I hosted my first dinner party Last night. I live in a small place so only had three friends over, but it was fun.

I had the fireplace going, lit the place with candles, had my usual Christmas decorations up (including about 20 birds, which began a string of jokes mostly at my expense), and had Christmas music piping in the background, including a CD that I made with a choir back in 1992)

I began the meal with a cream of broccoli soup. (I thought I had made too little, but it was perfect for four).

I then brought out the main course, which included pork tenderloin stuffed with apples, pancetta, pecans and a few raisons, carrots glazed with my own maple butter, green beans garnished with toasted almonds/butter and light/fluffy mashed potatoes. I also made red wine gravy for the pork.

For dessert, I let our local baker help me out by providing a light and fluffy dark chocolate mousse cake.

I’m a real ‘fine pottery’ nut and last week went to a huge craft show, entitled One of a Kind, [for Koos' benefit - the name of the location] and bought a number of Christmas gifts for others (not yours Dale) and myself - including wine goblets and casserole dishes. Last night I was able to showcase my new pieces with the meal (yeah).

At this time of the season I really get an entertaining bug and love having friends over for fun and a bite to eat. Sometimes dining at home can be way more fun than having a meal out. [sigh] Think this is one of the things I miss about having a man in my life, because I love to make fancy meals. Guess this year it’ll be friends who benefit from this crazy passion.

Hope you all have a great December of 2006!

12 comments:

Dale said...

Hey Lesley, it's making my mouth water!

I love this time of year to entertain, too. This afternoon I'm doing up h'ors d'oeuvres and watching the Women's WC Downhill from Lake Louise.

I'm really looking forward to your visit and, the evening after you arrive, we're having our annual cocktail party... sometimes it gets a wee bit out of hand... yippee!

Christmas dinner will be fun, too.
Big turkey, lots of food and good company!

... george is bottling 60 bottles of wine today...

Dale said...

... actually I'm watching the WC from my couch...

Anne-Marie said...

You're making me quite hungry, my dear. I love getting together with friends too, and on that note, I'll call you tomorrow for some firm dinner pre-Who plans, okay?

Mary Beth said...

OH, you're making me drool just reading your post!

It's been far too long since we've had friends over for dinner - though I'm sure a busy Christmas season will make up for that.

That's what good times are made up of - red wine gravy and chocolate mousse cake - yumm!!

Anonymous said...

You can come over and cook at my house anytime! Sounds delicious - and very festive!

Do you collect birds as well as fine pottery?

Dale said...

Did I mention how much I love eating?

Dale said...

Maybe you can help with Christmas dinner...

I also happen to know you can put together a mean set of h'ors d'oeuvres!

Lannio said...

Dale - I love cooking Christmas dinner, making horse douvers, drinking cocktails etc. I'm there!

Rache - I like birds around XMas because when we were young D and I used to have a few on our family tree. I prefer using birds as ornaments than many of the tacky ornaments out there - find it looks more real. However, don't have a tree so they are scattered around the house atop picture frames etc. My friends were saying I was for the birds, a bird brain etc... humph

Tomorrow I'm off to dinner and the WHO show with a buddy who decided to fork out the $100 ++++ bucks. We're meeting Anne Marie and Austin at the restaurant!!!

Stevie said...

After you are done cooking at Rache's house, you can come to mine!
I love cooking, as does my partner Ian... having friend's over for dinner is one of our favourite things to do. Now that I have time to actually do such things again... it has been wonderful working 45 hour work weeks!It's almost like being retired!
I love to go to the store, and wander about picking just the right fresh ingredients for a truly good marinara sauce, right from scratch. I take lots of time, usually have a glass or two of red wine and putter about in the kitchen with good tunes on making a lasagne with marina and beciamella. It is my idea of the perfect day off, taking hours preparing a meal for my family. Ian tends to love the same experience of taking time to prepare a really good meal, but neither of us are all that good at at timing. If either of us says dinner is at 6, chances are good it will be 7 or 7:30 before we really sit down!
This Christmas will be my mother's first on her own as my step dad just passed away, so it will be nice to have her here with us for the season. My ex-husband always joins us as he has no family here and it is a really big thing for him to have family around him. It sounds a little twisted, but we have always spent Chistmas all together. We trade off each year: one of us had my boys (16 and 13) for Christmas Eve and wake up with them in the morning, and the other makes Christmas dinner for everyone. It works well for us, and that way my boys have their whole family at Christmas. My fondest wish is to have my stepdaughter Hayley with us one year soon (totally not a knock against you or Ian, Rache, the distance had just made it hard to make happen for us all!) Oh, um, yes, my partner is actually Rache's ex-husband. Hope you don't mind me putting that out there Rache. I have to say, I am so very blessed in that I get along with my ex so well and truly like my partner's ex as much as I do. She is a good mum and I honestly consider her a friend. All in all, feeling pretty much as showered in blessings as I could be at this time of year or any time, really.
Hope you are all well out there, and the best of everything fo you all.
Blessed be,
Stevie

Anonymous said...

My invitation must of got lost in the post !!! (hehe) Hey, you sure know how to look after your friends. Good on you !!!
Cheers & beers from down under in New Zealand. Hope you enjoy your visit to our country.

Vallypee said...

Hi Lannio
I've got a man here who would love you to cook for him ;-) I'm afraid I'm not a great cook and am only too happy when someone else does it for me. to meit is a chore! Rather hand me the power tools and let me loose on the odd jobs and repairs...I'm good at that!

Your descriptions sound mouth watering though! Enjoy the concert tonight with Anne Marie. Let us now how Chrissy was too .

ian gordon said...

If I could even pronounce some of that stuff I'd be happy, let alone cook it...