Saturday, December 16, 2006

White Canadian Christmas memories

Christmas can be a time of reflection and as I look out my window onto the barren and green urban park - my mind goes back to whiter Christmas seasons, which I thought I'd share...

This first picture was taken in the 1960s at the beginning of one late November or early December. We used to travel up to the mountains outside of Montreal to search for and cut down on Christmas trees.



A few weeks later, during the 12 days of Christmas we'd have the tree up and play in the snow. In this picture, I'm on the far right and some of you may have been in communication with the girl wearing a yellow hat. Some activities never leave us - but only get stronger later in life!

This house belonging to my grandparents had three ponds in front of it and we'd choose one, if the ice was strong enough to shovel and skate. My parents used to always invite some friends up (with kids our ages) for the week between Christmas and New Years.




Every Christmas eve, we'd put up our stockings up with care, put out some milk and cookies for Santa and then try to get a good night's rest. I never could understand why my older siblings always heard and/or saw Santa and I never did!

We used to have to wear "Christmas pj's" and stand for pictures. All in all so many wonderful memories were created thanks to my parents and grandparents. We were very fortunate to have some special traditions and stay at my grandparent's amazing "cottage". I think some of my favourite Christmas' were at that house, so close to nature and ski hills!


The last two pictures presented in this montage are from 2004 at my parent's house. The first one illustrates how we bring white Christmas' outside into the inside (by whipping up ivory snow and putting it on the tree).




This last photo was taken a two years ago at Christmas from my bedroom window. Obviously the guy liked eating the dropped birdseed from my parent's feeder.

20 comments:

gypsy noir said...

lannio!!..the pictures are brilliant!! they look like christmas cards infact you could sell them as christmas cards..simply beautiful..
awe weren't you and dale cute..

Anne-Marie said...

Lesley, the pics are gorgeous! What lucky children you all were.

Isn't this December spring bizarre? It's hard to get into the Xmas spirit when you're running around in your light coats.

Dale said...

Lesley!

Shocking photos!

Eeeeks... I remember all of that.

Uncle Gordon and June in the top photo.
The ski photo is definitely a precursor of things to come!
I still have dreams set in the house at Ste Lucie...
Dad's tree is always a beautiful affair... dead birds and all.

Our weather has been perfect!
50 cm at the hill over the past couple of days... powder and face shots!
It's easy to get in the spirit with all this snow about.

Can't wait - only 6 more days!

Love
Dale

grace said...

Fantastic pictures! Thanks for sharing your christmas story. It brought back memories of Christmas's past. Lovely

Happy Holidays

xx Grace

Unknown said...

Beautiful photos, Lannio! Your Christmas memories look lovely and both of you were very cute kids. It is wonderful to have Christmas traditions, both to look back on and to carry forward.

Our Christmas will be very different than usual this year. We are all driving down to southern Missouri (Branson area) to see Randy's folks for a few days. We haven't gone out of town for Christmas since we've been together. A-M, I hope we don't warp into a Garmin commercial too!

The weather here has also been warm and snowless, - 50's and even some 60's this past week. Very strange, indeed.

ian gordon said...

test, test, can i comment on beta???

If so, great looking post. I'll be back for a read.

ian gordon said...

hey, no problem.

Mary Beth said...

Lovely picture, Leslie!! Look at you and Dale - you are both so cute!

What wonderful Christmas memories. I love your grandparents' house - wow, something from a fairy tale! It's always comforting to have memories of the peaceful, idyllic countryside when we live in the city now, isn't it?

Anne-Marie said...

Ooh, we've gone beta. I feel so...passe. Maybe in January.

Dale said...

I've tried to go beta - my computer says I'm not allowed...

Vallypee said...

Oh Lannio, this is like a picture book. How very beautiful, and what sweeties you children were. I love the description. What a charmed way to remember Christmas as a child.

Apart from that though, I just want to thank you for your kind words on my blog dear Lannio. I really appreciate the sympathy and warmth everyone has shown. I just wish my sweet father could have felt it too, but where he's gone, I'm sure he will be welcomed with all the love he gave to us and more. Thanks again, dear xx

Dale said...

Only 3 more days...

ian gordon said...

I don't know if this is true, but I'm told that in England a White Christmas is extremely rare indeed.

Officially it is defined by one snowflake falling on the London Weather centre roof. (That's how they settle the bets at the Bookies).

However, one of those rare Christmases coincided with the invention of Christmas cards. Hence the pictures on the cards....

So I'm told.

Dale said...

Ooops, that was actually Wendy and Cherrie with Uncle Gordon...

Lannio said...

Dale - you're right it is Cherrie up close and Wendy afar. Ah, but our cousins look much different today (four decades later).

Ian - The only time I spent Christmas in England (Kent) it rained cats and dogs with a chill that went right thru the bones. However, it was lovely to experience a True English tradition.

All - thanks for the compliments on the photos. The old ones (of course) were taken by others, but hte ones on the right are all mine. I LOVE taking photos!

Dale said...

One more day!

...you'd think I liked countdowns or something...

George is at his Christmas party at the shop with the boys... I am sick with an ugly chest infection that I hope to rid myself of very quickly, so I opted to stay home with the kids.

I'll probably get my midnight wake-up call to go get George and Eugene... operation Red Nose!

Anne-Marie said...

Hi Leslie,
Safe flight and have a great time with your sister! Merry Christmas!

Vallypee said...

Happy Christmas, Lesley! Give your sister a big hug for me too. Have a safe trip and some great skiing.xx Val

bookworm said...

Hi Lannio,
I wish you and your familiy
a Merry and Peaceful Christmas
and a wonderful New Year.
All the best
Love and peace
Stefan

Lannio said...

Thanks guys, I arrived. Tried to post before leaving, but blogger wouldn't load for me. :(