Sunday, January 07, 2007

Toronto in ...... January?

Today, while looking out of my home office onto a small urban parkette I saw some strange things. So strange, I thought I'd share them with you.

As many of you know, I live in Toronto and January is mid-winter .... but look at this view! I see green grass and mud with absolutely no snow. Actually the only snow we received that I remember getting this season was the night of the WHO concert. Temperatures thus far have hardly reached the freezing point. A friend told me her crocuses are starting to bloom!



At this time of year you'll often see fancy Christmas decorations, however, when I looked up at one of the apartment buildings which also borders this small parkette I saw the strangest "decoration" I think I've ever seen. No, that isn't a person looking out on that balcony but a dummy-manequin sporting a dressing gown. Why? the only reason I can think of is to keep pigeons away.

And, here we are on January 6th and these guys have no coat on. While I find it too cold to only wear a T-shirt and shorts that fellow on the left doesn't think so.

Oh, I also heard from my brother this evening that someone was waterskiing this week on a lake in close proximity to where my parents live in the Laurentian Mountains of Quebec. Usually these lakes at this time of year are reserved for skating, cross country skiing or riding a ski-doo over.

The major topic of conversation these days? Global Warming ...

8 comments:

gypsy noir said...

you know dummy manequins do like to basque in their night attire too..nothing strange about that!..

bookworm said...

Hi Lannio,
it's the same here in Germany. To warm. "Global Warming ... over the world". I think it's time to change, but the most of people don't think about this.
Wish you a great sunday.
Love and peace
Stefan

Mary Beth said...

Hi Lesley,

Oh, I know, I know - this is wonderful...for me anyway! I don't know if it has something to do with global warming, or if this is just a seasonal cycle that comes around every few hundred years, but we have never had a winter like this that I remember. I think it was 10 degrees yesterday, and there is not a flake of snow in Ottawa either. Oh, I love, love, love it!!! *L* Not good for ski hills, but I feel so happy every time I look outside and see grass and think of the date. I always wanted to live in a Mid-Altantic State climate. *L*

ian gordon said...

you have a very good "eye".

I know these aren't meant to be scenic photographs or anything, but they have a real sense of atmosphere, and "being there". There's almost a touch of Hopper about them.

Anne-Marie said...

Lesley,
Great photos- you are indeed painting a portrait of Toronto which looks more like April than January.

I just finished reading Tim Flannery's "The Weather Makers", and in it, he predicts that Canada will be one of the big "winners" if carbon emmissions are not reduced and we head towards global warming. We would end up in a temperate climactic zone which would be beneficial for agriculture. However, in doing so, the rest of the world is going to see an increase in storms, the polar caps will continue to melt, and huge amounts of human and other animal populations will suffer as a result.

Not a good thing.

I hope people start seeing past the fact that it's not so cold as a good thing, and start making changes to their lifestyles sooner rather than later.

Lannio said...

Gypsy - LOL

Booky & AM - lets hope more people think about Global Warming and we slow down the process.

MB - I don't think it has anything to do with a seasonal cycle - not at the rate at which the warming is happening.

Ian - thanks for the compliment. I take this as high praise coming from an artist! I've always loved doing scenic photos but find there is often a lack of personality. For 2007 I want to personalize my photography a bit more by taking more photos of people or people's habitats. Wish me luck

grace said...

Good luck on your new photography mission. That photo with the mannequin is kind of creepy. Must be to scare off birds.

xx

Bonfire Jones said...

Hi Lannio! Thank you so much for taking the time to listen to my band's (Dream Secret) new tune!

We appreciate your kind comments.
Please check back as more songs will be going up on IAC.

Val is such an inspiring person & I truly am happy that we've become friends. Blogging is such a great thing!

Also... please also feel free to stop by my blog anytime & say hello.

All the Best for 2007!

Regards, Ed