Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Winterlicious

I just got home from a great Winterlicious meal at the Corner House. Wnterlicious, taken from a NYC event, is a winter celebration and promotion of Toronto’s favourite restaurants. In it’s fourth year, 130 Toronto restaurants offer prix fixe three course menus for two weeks where customers can sample the establishment’s famous fare. It’s a great deal, with lunches at $15 and $20 and dinners at $25 and $35.

The Corner House restaurant (a $35 meal) was excellent. My friend and I both had whole roasted sirloin steak with Yukon Gold Mashed Potatoes and beans …. From heaven. As an appetizer I had a great Organic Baby Arugula greens with candied walnuts, pears, shallott redwine vinaigrette. For dessert I had Citrus scented cheesecake garnished with lemon and great fruit (ok, a pun for grapefruit). We also (hic) shared a great bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon.

…. Sigh …. Now I need to get to bed for an early work day tomorrow …. BUT

I can hardly wait until Sunday when I go and Winterlicious again at Toronto’s finest French restaurant, Auberge du Pommier. Lucky me – I was invited by a friend to attend. Lucky because this restaurant is so well reputed that all the reservations for Winterlicious were booked the first day they were allowed!

Lets hope I’m in good shape because the day before, on Saturday, I go skiing. 30 cms of snow fell just north of the city today … yippie.

For now, (yawn, hic)…. Bon soir!


5 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

Wow, you are winterliciousing all week! Glad you had a great time, and enjoy the skiing.

ian gordon said...

whilst that certainly sounds like a real treat, Im looking for some "salivating Springtime suppers".

Stevie said...

oh dear, 'scuse me while I wipe the drool from my keyboard...

mmmm... take us with you to the next meal as well! I will await the report eagerly!

Mary Beth said...

*le sigh* Winterlicious.... I will tell David it's on, and he will be SO jealous. My brother-in-law made us jealous last year with his recounting of all the wonderful menus he tasted!!

Dale said...

Lesley, that sounds delicious...as I munch down on my ukranian sausage, cheese and baguette.

We just spent the evening ski racing...followed by the requisite jug of beer.

I hope you enjoy your meal at the Pommier as much as you did the Corner.

See you soon!