Sunday, August 27, 2006

End of Summer preparedness

Wow, I can’t believe this is the last week-end in August. Without looking at a calendar the subtle changes tell me so. The nights are cooler and the mornings are fresh (or as the french say, fraiche). I now get up with the sun, instead of having it there to greet me.

I had a good summer with highlights being family. (I am single and unfortunately newly out of a relationship, so I wasn’t expecting the summer to be much). In July I met relatives I never knew existed at a small family reunion in Illinois, USA with my parents and brother. In August I spent a week with my sister and her two youngest children at my parent’s house in the unbelievably beautiful Laurentian Mountains of Quebec.

This is the first week-end this summer I’m taking completely for myself. Yesterday morning I wrote a short exam for some accreditation stuff I’m doing and then went to a pool where I swam a mile. I then came home and began the process of re-organizing my entire kitchen. Today I’ll go for a shorter swim (hoping for a kilometre), finish up my cupboards and clean my condo. It’s Sunday and so it’s appropriate because don’t they say that ‘cleanliness is close to godliness’?

Next week I travel 2.5 hours outside the city to spend the week-end with about 20 friends who jointly own about five acres in the country beside a lake and camp there. There’ll be lots of singing, dancing and a huge pig that we’ll cook over an outside fire on a spit.

Hope all of you enjoy the last days of summer.

9 comments:

gypsy noir said...

have a good time with your friends..oh no the poor pig hope it doesn't have a face..lol..remember the film babe...see bacon has no face..

Anne-Marie said...

Have a lovely end of summer, Lannio. I am enjoying my last dog days here in SF before flying home on Sunday. I know I'm going to be soooo jetlagged on the first day of school, but I am old hat at that, so no worries. I suspect the students will be asleep as well. ;)

Maybe we can meet up in September when we're both back in gear.

Cheers,
AM

Mary Beth said...

Sounds like you had a great summer. Have fun at your last hurrah at the party and pigroast - no better way to spend the long weekend!

Dale said...

The end of what?

You mean it's coming to an end?

I'd better get crackin!

...school supplies, school clothes, inside shoes, outside shoes, gym strips, Kleenex, lunch kits, lunch supplies, Thermos and juice containers, my sanity...

Lannio said...

um Dale,

And don't forget the fantastic family Christmas presents you need to buy within the next four months ;-)

grace said...

lannio, I cannot believe that summer is almost over either. sounds like it was a good one for you. how did you like Illinios? I was born there. I do agree that cleanliness is next to godliness. One must be organized, hey? How was the pig roast? good last days of summer.......

Vallypee said...

Poor piggy...sniff

Vallypee said...

Sorry Lannio, didn't mean to lay the guilt trip on you....well, not much, he he!

Glad you are making the most of your 'you' time and the last of the summer. Our summer fizzled out at the end of July and it has poured with rain ever since. I hate rain with a passion! Send me back to Jozi pleeeeze!

I'm busy with the start of our new academic year here so won't have much blogging time over the next weeks, but I'll keep in touch through comments, I'm sure.

Take care Lannio

grace said...

I was born in Cook County.