Thursday, August 31, 2006

Volcanos & Snow

Hi and have a good week-end. I'm off camping. While away, I thought I'd share some volcanos that I've seen. In a previous post, I displayed the one used for LOTR. Enjoy!


This is a New Zealand "Ski field" on the North Island. There are no trees on this mountain as it is an actual live volcano, which blew in the 1990's. There are warnings for skiers about sulpher intake. Photo taken August 5, 2005


This is a photograph taken on Hawaii's big island, named Hawaii. The smoke is acutally steam of where hot lava is hitting the cool Pacific ocean. Photo taken August, 2005

This volcano is on the Caribbean island of Montserrat overlooking the abandoned and former capital city of Plymouth. Photo taken April, 2001.

Okay, now that the exciting stuff is over, this is just a Quebec farmer's field along my parents roadway into their home on a late December afternoon. Photo taken December, 2005

6 comments:

Vallypee said...

WOW!!!! Stunning photos. Never realised there were so many active blowers still simmering out there!

Koos F said...

Hi Lannio
All your photos are pretty impressive witnesses to your travels the world over - and the the snow in Quebec is the picture that touches me most.
Thank you, this feels good.
Koos

Dale said...

I like the QC pic the best... that snow has blanketed many a track of mine across that space...

Lannio said...

Val - it's amazing how a volcano can be so beautiful yet so deadly. The most impressive one was Montserrat. I describe my visit to the island as being a poignant tragedy. It only took 12 minutes for the entire city to be covered in ash when the initial blowing occured. It was a miracle no one died.

Koos - taking photos of the places I've been is very important to me. It helps me relive the memories. I thought I would also place a very soft photo after the volcano ones to polarize how opposite the earth can be: active and volatile or peaceful and tranquil.

Dale - What a gorgeous cold day that was to take those photos of MacCrimmon's fields with long shadows under the 4 o'clock sun.

Mary Beth said...

Lovely pictures, Lannio! I haven't been to Hawaii or New Zealand, though...sadly, it's only the snow and tracks in the last photo that I'm quite familiar with. *L*

Dale said...

Nothing like a shared volcano while out camping!