Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Gunman confirmed dead after Montreal rampage

Sad news from the college I went to. While I haven't set foot at that college in decades, it still gives me the spooks because I was a student there. I hope the injured make full recoveries.

One woman is dead, 19 injured and many more are in emotional shock, after a shooting rampage that terrorized students and staff at Dawson College Wednesday afternoon in Montreal. The gunman who opened fire is also dead "after police intervention".

Television images showed police officers dragging a bloody body out of the main doors of the building, leaving a trail of blood on the street.

Students inside the college told reporters they heard several shots in the building just after lunchtime.

Eyewitnesses say they saw a tall skinny man, wearing a black trench coat and a Mohawk haircut, walk into the cafeteria carrying a large gun. He apparently fired several shots.

Hundreds of students fled the building, and the area was cordoned off. Police officers wearing bulletproof vests kept people away from the college.

This is the fourth incident of a post secondary institution being rampaged by a gunman in Canada. Unfortunately this is a price we pay in a usually tranquil land where people are able to roam free. The actions of a few can make it difficult and harm the lives of others around them. I guess the same can be said for anyone who terrorizes at any level.

11 comments:

Vallypee said...

We always think of Canada being so peaceful. What a tragedy. So needless and such a terrible waste. My heart goes out to the injured and to those in trauma from this incident.

gypsy noir said...

oh yes i saw this on the news today..tragic ..what a waste of innocent lives..

Dale said...

I heard about it this afternoon from a customer at work.
The events were just unfolding at the time and the news was sketchy.
Evil walks everywhere...and there are twisted minds everywhere.

So sad...

Anne-Marie said...

Hi Lannio,
What is it with Montreal colleges and crazed gunmen?

I hope all the injured pull through.

Lannio said...

OMG - I just learned that the killer went to my highschool. Sometimes the world can be too close for comfort.

Dale said...

OMG I heard he was from Laval.

Lannio said...

He lived in Fabreville, which is outside RHS' catchment area. People there would usually go to Laval West or Chomedy Polyvalent. That kinda makes you think why?

ian gordon said...

It is tradgic, and awful beyond comprehension.

And what's worse is we all know it won't be the last such incident of its kind.

Anne-Marie said...

Lannio,
Give me one of two weekends to readjust to the real world, and we can have that get-together, ok?

Koos F said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Koos F said...

Hi Lannio
I think I see the school shooting is not a news item for you, it is personal.
I'm sorry to hear about this.

Re your comment on my films I have a question.
Does 'loading' in your message mean uploading or downloading?

Would you like to publish similar moving image strips then go to http://www.filmloop.com/

If you have problems viewing them, please go to http://voilille.blogspot.com and click on the link in the message I've published there.
See if that works better for you.