Friday, September 08, 2006

Maya Angelou's words of wisedom

This poem was written by Maya Angelou, and oh do I ever feel that her words make sense. Hope you like it as much as I do.


I've learned that:


  • No matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.
  • You can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights.
  • Regardless of your relationship with your parents, you'll miss them when they're gone from your life.
  • That making a living is not the same thing as making a life.
  • That you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw some things back.
  • Whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision.
  • That even when I have pains, I don't have to be one.
  • That everyday you should reach out and touch someone. People love a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back.
  • That I still have a lot to learn
  • That people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel

11 comments:

Dale said...

Amen to that....@*&$*@ Christmas tree lights!

...now on with making a living so I can live life.

Anne-Marie said...

She is a wise woman.

So, how do you handle rain, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas lights?

I think the correct answer for all three is: shopping. ;)

-AM

Mary Beth said...

Words to live by forsure. I first heard the last one years ago (probably on Oprah), and it's always held true for me. I *always* remember how people made me feel, even if I can't recall the circumstance.

I agree with Anne Marie on the shopping answer to that queation!! *L*

Lannio said...

Dale, I see you notice my small play on words. All these words go into my glosserary. Do it often to accentuate stuff.

MB - Good words to try to remember.

AM - love rainy days, never had lost luggage, often because I only use carry on (probably not an option anymore) and if I I do check luggage, always make sure I have more than one outfit on the plane with me. Tangled Christmas lights .... ugh ... the reality of life.

ian gordon said...

Can I add two? I didn't make these up, but in the moment I heard them they sunk into my mind:

"Work like you don't need the money; dance like no-one is watching; and love like you've never been hurt".

and

"One can tolerate a world of demons for the sake of just one angel".

gypsy noir said...

very wise words and very true...i cant think of one of the many wise words i know right now...its this lost memory thing..i caught it off koos..

Anne-Marie said...

Let me add another one:

"Don't be like all those ladies on the Titanic who didn't have the chocolate cake for dessert because they were watching their figures."

Dale said...

Well apparently Gypsy wasn't worrying about her figure on the Titanic - she ate huge cheese...

Lannio said...

Ian and AM - nice additions to the truths.

Dale - This might be cheesy, but Glosserary is a play on words for Glossery.

Vallypee said...

Wise words all, Lannio. I like!

My own maxim, and to quote: Why 'live at Leeds' when you can be 'live at Leeds'? I hear this unintentional play on words quite frequently in my neck of the woods, and it has become the focus of many a group discussion.

Koos F said...

...and glossery is glossary in modern spelling ;-)