Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Being thankful

Friends are something really special. As people living south to me celebrate thanksgiving, I am thankful for the friendships that I have. I don't have a husband and/or children. So friends in my life are extra important. And, to have caring and loving friends like these, makes me feel incredibly blessed and thankful.

Highlight of my week-end, having nothing to do with the activities that were done.

On the weekend, I traveled to a tiny horse breeding farm south of Ottawa to spend the week-end with a bunch of girlfriends. While I’m relatively new to this group, it has been meeting approximately every two months for about six years.

The group began after one of the girl’s husbands suffered a terrible tragedy due to her husband committing suicide. At that time, the seven founding members of this “group” took turns to look after her. They realized after a while that the 24-hour support would have to stop – but they didn’t want to completely stop giving her support. These women, whom are mothers, grandmothers and career women with busy lives, didn’t want to get caught up in their own lives and lose touch with Linda so they formalized this group.

Every two months a pot-luck dinner is hosted by one of the women and the gang all stay overnight so they don’t have to worry about driving home. Each dinner has a theme and fun is had.

I feel very fortunate to be best friends with two of the original seven members and am honoured to be part of their extended “sisterhood”. These get-togethers have nothing to do with gossip or “hen pecking” but have everything to do with love and caring for others in days of happiness and sadness. Linda, I’m happy to say is with a new man and this group has supported her every step of the way just as everyone in the group has supported each other.

I have had more than my share of tragedy in my life, but am thankful for what I have.

5 comments:

Dale said...

EL, what a wonderful post!

I, too, am thankful for all that I have, but I do miss belonging to a sisterhood.

My life revolves around my family and it seems my friends are all male...

Ok... what's that?

I have some wonderful girl friends, but we don't see each other that often any more... mostly for the above reason - families.

We are all blessed - and cursed - in different ways...

Love your Sister
Dale

Mary Beth said...

What a great post, Lannio. Words to live by forsure. I think if we all took a more positive attitude and tried to turn bad things into good, what a happier place the world would be.

Dale said...

Have fun at Anne-Marie and Austins' wedding tomorrow!

Please send them my love and blessing...

Anonymous said...

Hi Lannio.

You and Dale have something I never had - a sister.

You are so lucky, and it sounds like you have something wonderful going with your 'local' sisterhood, too. Enjoy it always.

That kind of sharing and support is so rewarding whether it is given or received - and we all need it at times. You do have a lot to be thankful for and it sounds like your friend Linda does now, too.

Have a great time at Ann-Marie and Austin's wedding tomorrow! Please give them my love and best wishes...

Vallypee said...

Hi Lannio, it sounds wonderful...I also miss having close girlfriends as my dearest friend is in South Africa and in fact, all my close friends are there still. Given what I do in life here, I don't see my buddies here that often (hence my last post), so although that's what they are - really good buddies - I don't have any close girl friends here. My life away from work revolves around the harbour and that is largely a man's world!

So glad you enjoyed it!