Wednesday, November 15, 2006

What will they think of next?

Today at work I was doing a media audit of stories on plastic bags and came across this story out of Japan. What do you think about this new invention?

JAPANESE women looking for a place to hold their melons while shopping may soon have an alternative - their bra.

In a bid to discourage the shopaholics from using plastic bags, a lingerie maker has unveiled a bra with cup padding that unfolds to become a handheld shopping bag.

The bra-turned-bag is made of recycled polyester fibre with straps that can be tied onto the bag as ribbons.

Japanese shops hand out some 30billion plastic bags a year but almost a third are thrown away without being reused.

A spokesman for Triumph said: "In this context, what deserves the most attention is the significance of each and every customer understanding the importance of not using plastic bags."

The company has sought a patent for the eco-bra, although there are no plans yet to put it on general sale.

7 comments:

Vallypee said...

I rather think that eco friendly will take on a new meaning ;-)....for men, especially..lol

Mary Beth said...

Ummm....very creative idea, I suppose...though I'm wondering how you whip that off discretely in the store, and what you wear to replace it while you're shopping....!!

gypsy noir said...

i very rarely wear a bra..and i keep carrier bags with-in carrier bags...

Lannio said...

I think the idea is absolutely crazy! Val - Eco-friendly gone too far.

Unknown said...

LOL

I'm all for eco friendly, but it's bad enough I can't go without one - why on earth would anybody want to carry an extra??

I do try to remember to keep carrier bags with me when I shop, but I'm afraid it's not a habit yet...

Still, I don't think I'll be whipping off the old double barrelled shopping bag at Macy's anytime soon. Talk about your unwanted images. Ewwww :P

Anonymous said...

I can't wait!

Looking forward to stripping down in Sobey's every time I go shopping...

Whoopee!!

E.L. Wisty said...

Hahaha, lovely word play there. I wonder if the designer of those bra carrier bags was familiar with the slang meaning of "melon" :-)