Saturday, November 11, 2006

Reflections: a page from my diary and thoughts from today

September 2, 2004

I'm on the train right now [leaving France] and am in Germay - no sign of customs - the times have changed in a united Europe ...

later that day:

I'm in the the Platz in front of Cologne's Cathedral next to the Rhine River listening to Raggae and now an accordian version of Vivaldi's 4-seasons - what a Global Village! ... I notice that Cologne, which was almost completely destroyed from allied bombing is really is a rebuilt city. It's not very interesting due to its lost architecture and what was replaced are drab buildings form the 1950s. This makes me reflect on the changing of history. 60 years ago we were at war and today there is a united Europe - pretty amazing. I'm glad I live in this age ... God Bless You Grandma and Grandpa for living during your time [in WW I] and helping to make this place better for us. And thank you Uncle Gordon [a fighter pilot in WWII] - But what a price you paid.

While I was writing this, I actually had tears in my eyes (I can be such a suck) but history's events really hit me between the eyes in a way that I hadn't anticipated. Sometimes, living in North America we get removed from the happenings of two world wars, even though their events influence how we live today. Somehow, I believe that I went to the boring city of Cologne just for that reason.

So, thanks to all who gave up their lives or went through horrible things such as losing spouses, relatives and friends or having to endure what my uncle did by living three of his life as a prisoner of war.

Today, I wish that war could be stopped, however, that doesn’t seem to be possible on this precious planet. However, I wish we all could give peace a chance.

later Today

Right after writing this blog in draft today at 10:30 a.m. I walked over to our downtown mall, the Eaton's Centre, to get some light bulbs and a few other things. In doing so, I walked thru the Ryerson University campus at about 10:45 and saw some students on the residence grounds writing the words "we remember" in chalk on a cement walkway. At 11:00 I was in one of the city’s largest department stores where they made an announcement of silence and you couldn’t even hear a pin drop – it was very moving.

I think today as events go on in Iraq and soldiers are in Afghanistan many people of younger generations are understanding more about what this day really means. So, as this day comes to a close, I will say a prayer for peace.

5 comments:

Vallypee said...

Amen to that, Lannio.

I think Anne Marie is right when she says that in Canada and the UK, Remembrance day is more about honouring those who lost their lives than about what those World wars were about. People lose their lives on all sides in every war...needlessly and wastefully ...and at great sacrifice to themselves and those who have loved them. I will join you in praying for peace everywhere in the world, and feel great sorrow for those who live in areas where that peace is denied them.

gypsy noir said...

A letter of John Adams, dated the 13th April, 1777, captures the somber mood in the square.

"I have spent an hour this morning in the Congregation of the dead. I took a walk into the 'Potter's Field,' a burying ground between the new stone prison and the hospital, and I never in my whole life was affected with so much melancholy. The graves of the soldiers, who have been buried, in this ground, from the hospital and bettering-house, during the course of last summer, fall and winter, dead of the small pox and camp diseases, are enough to make the heart of stone to melt away! The sexton told me that upwards of two thousand soldiers had been buried there, and by the appearance of the grave and trenches, it is most probable to me that he speaks within bounds. To what causes this plague is to be attributed, I don't know--disease had destroyed ten men for us where the sword of the enemy has killed one!"

Dale said...

Amen to that, EL...

I know I am repeating what Val had to say, but I was thinking of writing just that before I saw Val's comment.
It was in my mind, so I said it anyway.

I have never made it through a Remembrance Day Ceremony without weeping...

You have said it all in your post.

Stevie said...

Lannio
It is truly sad that we seem to have a need, as a species, to experience war during our lifetime in order to understand the need to prevent it. We are an odd creature.
Hope you don't mind me stopping by your blog. I am a journalist/photographer/youth worker in B.C. I read some of your comments on my friend Rache's blog and cyberswooped over to yours.
Anyhow, I do think we need to remember those who lost their lives in previous wars... I just wish we would truly learn while remembering. One day, perhaps.

Anne-Marie said...

In my profession, we refer to those moments you described in Koln as "teachable moments." You are somewhere, doing something completely different, and another realisation strikes you and stays with you forever. Travel is the best way to have those teachable moments, I've come to believe.

Like Dale, I haven't made it through a Remembrance Day without tears either. So much loss on all sides, so much suffering, and yes, Stevie, maybe one day we will learn.

I join you in prayers for peace.